Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto Xoom (WiFi) - MoneyPak Infection

Tip us?

Haemon
Old
(Last edited by Haemon; 13th May 2014 at 11:27 AM.) Reason: Added more info + grammar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Tablet [Q] Moto Xoom (WiFi) - MoneyPak Infection

Hey XDA, I've been a long time "user" of the forums yet I've never made a post on here until now. So I've got a Moto Xoom that is seriously hurting, and I feel like I've got myself painted into a corner with it. Before I blow it away and flash it with the stock ROM or a custom one, I wanted to make sure I've exhausted every last option to remove the MoneyPak ransomeware on the device.

Here is a link to techreport forums where I made a post about this issue to save you the trouble of me explaining it all again.

techreport.moc/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93799&p=1205113#p1205113 (change it to .com obviously, apparently without 10 posts I can't post links)

Any help with gaining access would be appreciated. I was hoping to simply just have ADB access to run this command...
Code:
adb uninstall com.adobe.flashplugin
I figured this will just remove flash all together and the MoneyPak malware can't run, and it wont be gotten again :P. As it stands right now as soon as I load into the OS moneypak takes over the screen and I can't do anything, so I'm unable to enable debugging mode or any other software settings.

Thanks in advance!

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Your only option would be to boot up in Safe Mode. This disables all 3rd party apps. The launcher will crash continually and pretty much the only thing you'll be able to do is get into the Settings and uninstall whatever the app you installed that came bundled with. Seems to depend on what update it's on to whether or not there is a Safe Mode? I dunno, reports seemed spotty about what did and didn't work and it seems they are different between wifi and data models. And they made a Family Edition which is also different. Geez... But yea, see if you can do the Safe Mode. Other than that, it'd have to be reset.

http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/moto...html#post76504
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ? (One+1 maybe...)

Haemon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah, I believe I tried to get into safe mode, it was one of the first things I gave a shot. It is just the plain old WiFi model, one of the first ones out. Bought at Fred Myers like 2 weeks after release, maybe a month. Updated to the latest android release for the Xoom which I believe is 4.2.2.

Any clue if there is even a safe mode on it, I was leaning towards no. The VZW version apparently references a safe mode, but that's probably just for them.