Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

boot.img changes after unpack-repack without edit

Tip us?

binghemoye
Old
(Last edited by binghemoye; 14th May 2014 at 04:01 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cloud Search boot.img changes after unpack-repack without edit

I have met some problem with boot.img and need some help if there's somebody know it.

I used unmkbootimg and mkbootimg, I unpacked a boot.img then got zimage and initramfs.cpio.gz, I repacked it without any edit but the new boot.img becames smaller, it changed from 13M to 7.9M, and the phone couldn't boot from new boot.img,

and there is no question if I use a boot.img extracted from an android3.x-version rom, but if the android version changes to 4.x, the unpack-repack process would lose much size...I tested on mi2s' rom......I don't know if there are some files that will be lost in unpack process, or say the process just ignore files other than zimage and initramfs...

does anybody knows why?

B.B.N.
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by binghemoye View Post
I have met some problem with boot.img and need some help if there's somebody know it.

I used unmkbootimg and mkbootimg, I unpacked a boot.img then got zimage and initramfs.cpio.gz, I repacked it without any edit but the new boot.img becames smaller, it changed from 13M to 7.9M, and the phone couldn't boot from new boot.img, does anybody knows why?
It could be because of incorrect settings for mkbootimg or there more files,than zImage and initramfs, needed for proper work. Hard to say without more information.

Sorry for my bad English.

binghemoye
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.N. View Post
It could be because of incorrect settings for mkbootimg or there more files,than zImage and initramfs, needed for proper work. Hard to say without more information.

Sorry for my bad English.
There is no question if I use a boot.img extracted from an android3.x version rom, but if the android version changes to 4.x, the unpack-repack would lose much size...I tested on mi2s' rom......I don't know if there are some files that will be lost in unpack process, or say the process just ignore files other than zimage and initramfs...