Thanks Meter 13,591
Join Date: May 2012
DONATE TO ME
[HOW-TO] Preparing to flash an ND8 (kitkat) rom
Given that the first ND8 rom is out there now, I'd thought it would be a good idea to write up the steps you need to take BEFORE you can proceed to flashing your first ND8 rom.
Steps to take/verify before flashing an ND8 rom
- Check your bootloader version. If you are not on the ND8 bootloader, any ND8 rom you flash will brick your device.
You can check your bootloader version by running the following command in a terminal emulator app/shell on your device. Adb shell will work as well if you know how to get that going.
If the version string it returns ends with "ND8" (no quotes of course), you are golden and you can skip to STEP 5. Otherwise continue to step 2.
- Oh no. You ARE NOT on the ND8 firmware so you need to flash it before you can safely flash your first ND8 rom. Head over to THIS thread and flash the stock tar using ODIN (or a similar program) ON YOUR PC. Mobile ODIN will not just fail to flash it properly, but may leave you with an inoperable device aka brick. Don't try to take shortcuts. Following the instructions in the stock tar thread for how to flash the tar. NOTE: The restore tar MAY or MAY NOT wipe your internal storage so back up your information as necessary.
After flashing the stock tar, head back here and move on to step 3
- Download a custom recovery tar (I highly recommend Philz touch, works for flashing kitkat roms well with the greatest consistency. Grab the latest tar HERE)
- Flash the recovery tar with ODIN (or a similar computer program such as jodin, heimdall, etc) the same way you flashed the stock tar.
- Now you can flash your rom. Yes, it is slightly tedious the first time, but once you are on the ND8 firmware you needn't repeat these steps the next time you want to flash an ND8 rom
Devs and others, I encourage you to refer all ND8 flashing questions here to keep things centralized and have one set of info from one person versus multiple from multiple people.
Have fun flashing!
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!