[Q] Order of Operations for New Firmware, Modem, and ROM

Search This thread

NoLaw

Dec 30, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been away from the Android scene for awhile, and I am looking to make some changes to my VZW SGIII. I want to make sure that my current plan for upgrading makes sense and I was hoping someone here could help. Here are my current settings:

ROOTED, BOOTLOADER Unlocked, CWM installed
Android 4.2.2
Kernal: 3.4.53 Cyanogenmod
Baseband: I535VRLHE
Liquid Smooth v2.9

I would like to update my Modem, since my current option has absolutely terrible reception. According to what I have read, it seems that the best Modem option is MF1 firmware than do a ML1 Baseband update.

[Q1] Does this have to be performed with ODIN, or can I do this through CWM?

The other thing I would like to do is to update to KitKat. I have found a ROM I think I will like, C-RoM v6.5. The instructions from their thread:

"WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition + Format System)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard
Select Rom Zip And Flash, then select GAPPS of choice (doesnt have to be from below, im using PA GAPPS myself...) And Flash
Reboot And Enjoy..."

[Q2] What is the best order of operations in order to ultimately end up with MF1 w/ ML1 modem and C-RoM 6.5?

Should I do all the modem updates first and then flash ROM? Thanks!

NoLaw

Dec 30, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been away from the Android scene for awhile, and I am looking to make some changes to my VZW SGIII. I want to make sure that my current plan for upgrading makes sense and I was hoping someone here could help. Here are my current settings:

ROOTED, BOOTLOADER Unlocked, CWM installed
Android 4.2.2
Kernal: 3.4.53 Cyanogenmod
Baseband: I535VRLHE
Liquid Smooth v2.9

I would like to update my Modem, since my current option has absolutely terrible reception. According to what I have read, it seems that the best Modem option is MF1 firmware than do a ML1 Baseband update.

[Q1] Does this have to be performed with ODIN, or can I do this through CWM?

The other thing I would like to do is to update to KitKat. I have found a ROM I think I will like, C-RoM v6.5. The instructions from their thread:

"WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition + Format System)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard
Select Rom Zip And Flash, then select GAPPS of choice (doesnt have to be from below, im using PA GAPPS myself...) And Flash
Reboot And Enjoy..."

[Q2] What is the best order of operations in order to ultimately end up with MF1 w/ ML1 modem and C-RoM 6.5?

Should I do all the modem updates first and then flash ROM? Thanks!

In addition, I would also like to update my Kernal. Any suggestions as to where in this process I should update the Kernal (I would think at the end)? Also trying to decide between leankernal and KT747, anyone care to offer their experiences as far as stability, etc.?

Wh1t3Rose

You seem to have the right idea. All this can be install in recovery. Odin is not needed

You must update your recovery to the latest version. This is NOT Optional!

1. Wipe System & Data
1b. Flash MF1 firmware
1c. Flash ML1 modem
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash kernel (if you using something like KT747)
4. FLASH Gaaps
5. any addons
6. Reboot (if unstable reboot a 2nd time)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

NoLaw

Dec 30, 2011
You seem to have the right idea. All this can be install in recovery. Odin is not needed

You must update your recovery to the latest version. This is NOT Optional!

1. Wipe System & Data
1b. Flash MF1 firmware
1c. Flash ML1 modem
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash kernel (if you using something like KT747)
4. FLASH Gaaps
5. any addons
6. Reboot (if unstable reboot a 2nd time)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thank you. Which recovery should I update to first?

jeremy702

Jun 17, 2010
Duke City
Quick note, some people have been having problems with the ML/MF combo in that more then one text message can't be sent at a time. If you get one, you can send one, but only one. Some people have gone back back to MB1 modem/firmware for SMS support.

Just a heads up..

NoLaw

Dec 30, 2011
Quick note, some people have been having problems with the ML/MF combo in that more then one text message can't be sent at a time. If you get one, you can send one, but only one. Some people have gone back back to MB1 modem/firmware for SMS support.

Just a heads up..

I dont understand, what is the problem exactly?