Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 41,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root stock OTA 4.4.2 without unlocking bootloader?

Tip us?

LotsaBS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Root stock OTA 4.4.2 without unlocking bootloader?

My sister has a Sprint GS3, SPH-L710 and recently installed the 4.4.2 OTA (L710VPUDND8) not realizing that her apps will no longer be allowed to write/backup to her External SD card after the OTA (thanks google ). Anyway, I told her I could probably fix that problem by rooting it and making a few tweaks to restore the ability to write to the external SD card. Does rooting this phone require unlocking the bootloader (can you even unlock the bootloader anymore?) or can I get root without unlocking the bootloader? If so, what is the best/simplest method to use? She doesn't plan to be installing any custom ROMs, won't need a custom recovery and I'd like to root it without wiping her phone if possible. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaBS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flastnoles11
Old
Thanks Meter 4,620
This phone doesn't have a locked bootloader, to root just odin the tar for Philz recovery, boot directly into the recovery (uncheck auto reboot in odin, pull battery then boot to recovery) then flash the su.zip in recovery... Then boot the phone and you're rooted... Easy as pie

New to the SprintGS3??? Click the link below to get started!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to flastnoles11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LotsaBS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flastnoles11 View Post
This phone doesn't have a locked bootloader, to root just odin the tar for Philz recovery, boot directly into the recovery (uncheck auto reboot in odin, pull battery then boot to recovery) then flash the su.zip in recovery... Then boot the phone and you're rooted... Easy as pie
Thank you. Sry for my ignorance, obviously I'm not very familiar with the GS3. Can you direct me to step by step instructions? And will I be able to root her phone without wiping it? I want to keep this a simple as possible and not have to mess with restoring everything on her phone.

I found this on another thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...62&postcount=2. Will this procedure work?

Thanks again

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1,698
It's worked for some people.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

LotsaBS
Old
(Last edited by LotsaBS; 14th May 2014 at 06:02 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I can verify that the method in post #3 above did work. However, after reboot, SuperSU sent a message that it had stopped working. I checked and it was installed. I went and updated SuperSU to the latest version (v1.94) via the market. I then went to SuperSU settings and installed it into the system. I now had root access and SuperSU was running properly. I then installed NextApp SDFix from the market and enabled writing to the external sd card. All is good now, her phone has root access and her apps can now write to the external SD Card. Thanks to all for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaBS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]