Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,749 Members 40,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery Life & More

Tip us?

Wolfeman781992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Battery Life & More

Ok I have a Motorola Atrix HD running Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and using the EB40 battery.

1. I would like to know what charger I should be using, I have the 850mA motorola charger that came with my phone, a 1amp pantech charger, a ONN 1.2amp charger and a 1.5amp off brand charger. Also how long should this battery take to charge?

2. I would like any tips or tricks to extend my battery life, my longest charge yet has lasted 26 hours of heavy use (im also running Juice Defender Ultimate) and I keep seeing people talking about getting 3-3 and a half days out of one charge.

3. Is there anyway to make my built in battery meter more accurate it doesnt seem to be reading this battery properly

On a side note, I accidently deep discharged my EB40 when i was running the initial charge out, and it was plugged and unplugged several times trying to get the phone to power back on, Im wondering if i damaged my battery and if so is there a way to fix it?

Sorry for the extremely long question any help would be greatly appreciated.

pijes
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman781992 View Post
Ok I have a Motorola Atrix HD running Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and using the EB40 battery.

1. I would like to know what charger I should be using, I have the 850mA motorola charger that came with my phone, a 1amp pantech charger, a ONN 1.2amp charger and a 1.5amp off brand charger. Also how long should this battery take to charge?

2. I would like any tips or tricks to extend my battery life, my longest charge yet has lasted 26 hours of heavy use (im also running Juice Defender Ultimate) and I keep seeing people talking about getting 3-3 and a half days out of one charge.

3. Is there anyway to make my built in battery meter more accurate it doesnt seem to be reading this battery properly

On a side note, I accidently deep discharged my EB40 when i was running the initial charge out, and it was plugged and unplugged several times trying to get the phone to power back on, Im wondering if i damaged my battery and if so is there a way to fix it?

Sorry for the extremely long question any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. AHD could only pull 1A max. Beside good charger, you also need a good usb cable so that the power does not lost in transit. Install CurrentWidget to check how much power does your phone get while charging.

2. Minimum screen brightness, auto on/off data connection (LeanData app), undervolting? Battery consumption differs from phone to phone depending on how you use the phone, how good is your telco signal etc.

3. Perhaps you need to flash another rom? I'm on CM11 KitKat and the reading is fine. But battery life is not as good as stock JellyBean rom.

4. If your phone is dead after fully discharge, just leave it plugged in. after a while it will come to life.

Wolfeman781992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pijes View Post
1. AHD could only pull 1A max. Beside good charger, you also need a good usb cable so that the power does not lost in transit. Install CurrentWidget to check how much power does your phone get while charging.

2. Minimum screen brightness, auto on/off data connection (LeanData app), undervolting? Battery consumption differs from phone to phone depending on how you use the phone, how good is your telco signal etc.

3. Perhaps you need to flash another rom? I'm on CM11 KitKat and the reading is fine. But battery life is not as good as stock JellyBean rom.

4. If your phone is dead after fully discharge, just leave it plugged in. after a while it will come to life.

1.So the cable that came with the 1A pantech charger would be fine? what are the effects of using a small or larger charger? say the factory .85A? longer charge times?

2. Juice defender controls my screen brightness at roughly 40% normally (I have good eyes) data shuts off with screen unless traffic exceeds 100kb/s, undervolting? lots of social networking and texting, music player (rocket player), and a playing a power hungry game, 1-3 bars at home depending on were i put my phone, 4-5 bars else were

3. Is that stable or nightly? I only run stable roms due to my phone being my only source of internet and i have no back up phone

4. Good to know thanks

Wolfeman781992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Also on a 1A charger with quality cable CurrentWidget should be showing 1A(or 1000mA)? and were CurrentWidget shows battery current draw what is considered high?

sorry for all the question im kind of a noob to modding my phone i ran cyanogen mod on my OG Droid but never did any real modding on it phone ran faster and battery life actually increased, same on my AHD my battery life increased after flashing to cyanogenmod 10.1.3 i gained approx 3 hours over stock jellybean

Arjomer
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pijes View Post

Wow that LeanData app is amazing, It's a shame that can't get the EB40 battery because It couldn't ship to my country so I need to live with the EB20 one.

Wolfeman781992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Juice Defender Ultimate controls Data on/off Sync Screen brightness and timeout sound profiles based on schedules, bluetooth and cpu governer and clock speed if your rooted theres also controls for gps and wifi but i never uses those, i paid like $7 for it but i think it was well worth it on EB20 and stock jellybean i was averaging 10-11 hours of heavy use which was way better than my out the box 6-7 when i flashed to cyanogenmod and ran that with juice defender it increased to 13-16 hours, after adding the EB40 battery my shortest charge has been 18.5 hours, i was realy hoping to hit the 30 hour mark with all the people talking about going 3 and a half days on 1 charge

pijes
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman781992 View Post
1.So the cable that came with the 1A pantech charger would be fine? what are the effects of using a small or larger charger? say the factory .85A? longer charge times?

2. Juice defender controls my screen brightness at roughly 40% normally (I have good eyes) data shuts off with screen unless traffic exceeds 100kb/s, undervolting? lots of social networking and texting, music player (rocket player), and a playing a power hungry game, 1-3 bars at home depending on were i put my phone, 4-5 bars else were

3. Is that stable or nightly? I only run stable roms due to my phone being my only source of internet and i have no back up phone

4. Good to know thanks

1. EB40 is rated at 3200mAh (miliamp per hour). so in theory, a 1A charger will take 3.2 hours to fully charge it. a 2.1A charger will still take 3.2 hours. 0.85A charger will definitely take longer time. do correct me on this. and btw, AHD has the qualcomm quick charging feature built in. I'm guessing 3-4 hours to fully charge this phone from 0-100%.

2. Keep using JD if it already improves the battery life. when the phone gets 1-3 bars or in a place with low signal coverage, it will draw more power to get the coverage.

3. I think most KitKat rom based on the latest CM11 release are quite stable. you can read about them in the development threads.