TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more
Thread Deleted

[Q] Method for rooting Xperia with unlocked bootloader

OP omicorn

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
14th May 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
Hi!

So finally my old phone gave up and I decided to go for Xperia SP thinking I would flash Cyanogenmod on it. Now that I have used it for a while I decided I'd keep the stock but still unlock and root the phone to be able to restore data folders (WhatsApp!).

Now most of the rooting methods here are workarounds for locked boot loader models and involve finding the right firmware from Sony and a lot of hassle with the file patching. Even with unlocked models the rooting works by flashing the exploited kernel and using the exploit to gain root.

My question is why is it not possible to just boot (NOT FLASH) modified kernel with security off via fastboot and then upload SuperSU or Superuser files into device and then after installation continue using the kernel provided by the firmware? This is also called the general method.

I will go this route if there are no reasons not to.

PS. Thanks for this wonderful community. As a long time lurker I finally decided to join you!
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread