Ask a question

No registration required

633x SD ROM requires read ahead cache <= 128

OP gooberdude

14th May 2014, 12:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80

390 posts
Yep, I thought lowering the boosted 2048 read ahead setting that most ROM tweakers on various threads would show a significant increase.

After all many are not using such high speed SD cards in their phones or tablets.

I gathered phone settings are being generally used on all android devices, so I proved it for myself.

Originally I used Civato's custom builds using his settings and tools.

I had used a Sandisk Extreme 32GB standard SD card and familiarized the speeds I was getting with my setups.

After dealing with too many lacking functions, I moved back to stock, and realized once properly setup there was not much difference in speeds.

So I moved on to a 633x SD card and started tweaking with cache... I disclosed in previous thread about 633x being the way to go with tablets, that I used a utility to change my read ahead cache from 2048 down to 256. That would just double the stock setting, and found a significant increase in SD speeds. This all contradicted what is being pushed by the tweakers in the community.

Now that I removed the utility to change the stock read ahead cache, I am running the default 128. Believe it or not... I have a 20% speed increase from the tweaked setting! This was taking a complete full backup of apps and data, over 3 GB worth and at least 1GB of data and apps that are on SD that is part of the backup itself. I went 25 minutes down to 20 minutes. Proving that the read ahead cache is made for slower SD card performance and my argument about testing speeds being affected by the Android system... being not all Androids are the same.

Now to find some utility to disable read ahead cache... and do another test.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread