Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Display of Black colours

Tip us?

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default Display of Black colours

Hi guys.

Just a Quick question:
I compared the screen colours of my Z2 with my old Samsung Galaxy S2 using the app screen test.
There I noticed, that black on the Z2 isn't really black while on my S2 black is truly black.
Is that normal?

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

Cena99
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepflash View Post
Hi guys.

Just a Quick question:
I compared the screen colours of my Z2 with my old Samsung Galaxy S2 using the app screen test.
There I noticed, that black on the Z2 isn't really black while on my S2 black is truly black.
Is that normal?

Its normal as far as i know Samsung phones use Super Amoled screen which has darker black while Sony use IPS screen technology has less darker black ,, dont worry its totally normal
The Following User Says Thank You to Cena99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xernoxis
Old
Thanks Meter 23
It can't really be darker than the screen itself, because black is absence of light, which means the light sources are turned off when displaying black.
The color black will be as dark as the panel.

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Well the panel is definitely much more black when it is turned off.. In the end the black white contrast on my S2 is much better
When I run the screen test app, when black is being displayed, the screen isn't off though

SkyS1gn
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepflash View Post
Well the panel is definitely much more black when it is turned off.. In the end the black white contrast on my S2 is much better
When I run the screen test app, when black is being displayed, the screen isn't off though

IPS is lighting even when display black, compared to AMOLED where every pixel has its own led diode so when AMOLED display black, its pixels eventually turn off. Thats why..

Different display technology, both have their adv. and disadv.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SkyS1gn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shebee
Old
Thanks Meter 38
On amoled displays black pixels turn completely off, which is why it has so good contrast.

pepeo123
Old
Thanks Meter 19
this is completely normal, because the superamoled panel have isolated pixels. the black in amoled panels is literally black, no light emitted, only the reflections from screen. in a complete dark room, the screen blackness would be the same as the room. LCD panels cant do that, the best ones can do something like 0.08cd/m2 of black levels, this mean that the black is actually greyish, while super amoled can do 0cd/m2 meaning infinite contrast. according to reviews xperia z1 compact have a black level of 0.44cd/m2, and while the z2 has a better screen, the black levels should be around the same
The Following User Says Thank You to pepeo123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
thx for the explanations.
Light emitted always needs battery consumption so I would assume, the amoled screen is especially with dark colours more battery saving, then the lcd screen, right?

feis
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Yes it is

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2