Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 45,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to remap hardware buttons on s3 mini

Tip us?

Kobro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default How to remap hardware buttons on s3 mini

I have searched google and xda, no luck finding anything like what i need.
I want to change the menu button, (bottom left) to open the recent apps switcher like in the galaxy s5. i do NOT want to use an app, i prefer to edit one of the system files. please someone tell me how to change the menu button to open the recent apps switcher!
P.S. also i want to make the long press on menu button go to menu instead of search, so i still have a menu button.
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

gen_scheisskopf
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Simple solution- check if keys can be remapped in your launcher or rom (if you use custom one) and just map Menu key to open recent apps.

All keys definitions are stored in /syste/usr/keylayout in sec_touchkey.kl (touch keys) and gpio-keys.kl (hardware keys).
You should be able to change mapping there but do not change keycode (number)- it is hardcoded in kernel drivers, system will always receive this value.
I can't guarantee however that this will work as expected and there is no "Recent Apps" key definition
Code:
setprop persist.world.domination 1
Twitter

Kobro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_scheisskopf View Post
Simple solution- check if keys can be remapped in your launcher or rom (if you use custom one) and just map Menu key to open recent apps.

All keys definitions are stored in /syste/usr/keylayout in sec_touchkey.kl (touch keys) and gpio-keys.kl (hardware keys).
You should be able to change mapping there but do not change keycode (number)- it is hardcoded in kernel drivers, system will always receive this value.
I can't guarantee however that this will work as expected and there is no "Recent Apps" key definition
no, but there is app_switch, or something similar.
i did it by installing the xposed framework and module xposed additions.
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp