Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 44,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting

Tip us?

hollidays24
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Rooting

I'm brand new to android and about a week ago I got the One M8 and I was wondering if rooting was worth the risks and exactly how would I get cyanogenmod (I know some things).

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2793
Whether its "worth it" to root, unlock the bootloader, etc. is completely subjective. It depends on what you want to do with your phone, how much time you are willing to invest, etc. The vast majority of Android users will never root their phones (and in fact probably don't even know what that means).

On the other hand, if you are interesting in CM, and getting the full functionality of the device, than its probably for you. This is provided that you are willing to put the time and effort to learn the concepts and procedures before doing anything. At least a couple hours to browse through these forums and learn the basics, and become familiar with the process. Rush forward without proper understanding is an almost sure recipe for disaster.

As long as you are willing to take the time to learn, and are good at following instructions, the risk is minimal. To me, its well worth it for root, just to remove the AT&T bloatware and enable WiFi hotspot.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]