Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Temporary Root myTouch4g Slide Latest OTA

OP fred30w

3rd May 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.maxuel

For the record you can, using any archive tool that handles tarballs:

Alternatively, when the data is migrated to your family members phone (may want to test to see if your saved games are present), you can root your Doubleshot and migrate the data back. You would be borrowing it for a little longer, but it would be an easier restore.

Excellent, that looks pretty good. Ok, I'm downloading the HTC backup tool you linked above and I'll pick it apart and see if it's all there. By the way, I appreciate your help.

EDIT: Ok, this transfer tool wants direct connection between 2 HTC phones. If that's the case, I'll try to "borrow" that phone. Unless I'm using the wrong app of course.
Last edited by fred30w; 3rd May 2014 at 03:36 AM.
3rd May 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #12  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 110

364 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred30w

EDIT: Ok, this transfer tool wants direct connection between 2 HTC phones. If that's the case, I'll try to "borrow" that phone. Unless I'm using the wrong app of course.

You are on the right track. Let me know how it turns out.
3rd May 2014, 04:39 AM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:

You are on the right track. Let me know how it turns out.

Ok, I've tried to use the HTC transfer tool. Unfortunately, it has been unsuccessful. For one, it doesn't seem to have the option to transfer apps. Seems to only transfer user data (pictures, videos, etc.). Second, when I actually tried the backup feature, it only works on other HTC phones running stock firmware. I would get a screenshot, but I don't think this phone came with a screenshot capability without a third party app. Anyway, the app says this "To get started, go to "Settings" on your new phone, tap "Get content from another phone" and follow onscreen instructions." Then the app waits for a wireless connection and asks for a pin. Obviously the other HTC phone I'm borrowing is not useful here, since it's on custom firmware and it's even older than the double shot. It just makes me laugh though, you can't really backup too much without root, but the easiest way to root requires a phone wipe. Puts me in an odd spot.
Last edited by fred30w; 3rd May 2014 at 04:56 AM.
3rd May 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #14  
Flag Halifax

364 posts
More
Quote:

Ok, I've tried to use the HTC transfer tool. Unfortunately, it has been unsuccessful. ... Then the app waits for a wireless connection and asks for a pin. Obviously the other HTC phone I'm borrowing is not useful here, since it's on custom firmware and it's even older than the double shot. It just makes me laugh though, you can't really backup too much without root, but the easiest way to root requires a phone wipe. Puts me in an odd spot.

Yeah, that's a bit of a catch. Usually when a phone is rooted one is very tempted to replace the firmware (third thing I done with my phone ) so it's hard to find a rooted phone still on stock. You could RUU the borrowed phone back to stock, root it again, and then pair with the app, but that would add a ton of steps (full day's work) and it doesn't sound like stock is new enough to handle the HTC transfer app anyways (as it requires Gingerbread at least).

Well, it was worth a shot anyways. Hopefully someone else pipes up with a better idea. Take care.
3rd May 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:

Yeah, that's a bit of a catch. Usually when a phone is rooted one is very tempted to replace the firmware (third thing I done with my phone ) so it's hard to find a rooted phone still on stock. You could RUU the borrowed phone back to stock, root it again, and then pair with the app, but that would add a ton of steps (full day's work) and it doesn't sound like stock is new enough to handle the HTC transfer app anyways (as it requires Gingerbread at least).

Well, it was worth a shot anyways. Hopefully someone else pipes up with a better idea. Take care.

Indeed, I really appreciate your help though! I'm hoping someone can cook up something too.

EDIT: Since it has been difficult to find a temp root strategy, I was able to manually pull the app data file by file (painful) via adb. I got everything I needed, so now the phone has been wiped clean and can be easily rooted now.

But here is an interesting fact, before, this phone took 4 minutes and 27 seconds to boot. Now that I did a factory reset, it only takes 33 seconds to boot, I disabled fastboot on both tests.
Last edited by fred30w; 4th May 2014 at 06:24 AM.
14th May 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #16  
Flag Halifax

364 posts
More
Quote:

Indeed, I really appreciate your help though! I'm hoping someone can cook up something too.

EDIT: Since it has been difficult to find a temp root strategy, I was able to manually pull the app data file by file (painful) via adb. I got everything I needed, so now the phone has been wiped clean and can be easily rooted now.

But here is an interesting fact, before, this phone took 4 minutes and 27 seconds to boot. Now that I did a factory reset, it only takes 33 seconds to boot, I disabled fastboot on both tests.

Gee, I never thought about using ADB to pull files. Clever, although it must have been a hard slog.

I came across this link this morning:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps...-root-t2130276

The Doubleshot isn't in the compatibility list, but the OP mentioned if it's not, to just try and see. The good thing about this rooting process is that it doesn't wipe data.

Anyways, Hope you are enjoying your rooted phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread