Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 47,072 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Advice on Android app design needed!

Tip us?

Esteban_Chacon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Advice on Android app design needed!

Hi,
We’re designing our first Android app.

It’s a game app, which works like this: the home screen (the one in the mockup) has the person’s avatar and options like settings. There are certain tasks in the activity screen. For example, “Help parents with cooking.” When this is done, you can check it off in the activity screen. The achievements screen has a history of all previous achievements, details, etc.

The mockup is attached.

My concern is about the bottom bar. I added the bottom bar, to be a constant on all screens, because it makes intuitive sense for navigation—you don’t have to navigate back to the home screen everytime you need to go from say, achievements to activity screen. I’ve read a lot of stuff that says this is bad practice for Android, and to use action bars instead. But this is a kids’ app, and I’d like to keep the icons big, bold, distinctive and also in line with the general feel of the app.

Is what I have in the pic even a bottom bar? How else should I do things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcok screen A.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2743107  

HaSKdX
Old
Thanks Meter 26
From the app described i think you need first swith to a bit neutral color becouse of the avatar possibility i think , also revisionate a bit the layout becouse you say is a game becouse is game need to add a bit of details ,
so i ve done a proto of what i say
The Following User Says Thank You to HaSKdX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]