Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] NC2 to NC4

OP slowz3r

13th May 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malmstrom AFB, MT
Thanks Meter: 102

2,343 posts
More
SUA will not upgrade from NC2 to NC4, any workaround?
13th May 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

85 posts
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowz3r

SUA will not upgrade from NC2 to NC4, any workaround?

I too am wondering this question
13th May 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

73 posts
Odin probably. That's what someone said to me on the thread about it. Thinking of trying it. That zip download is going to take a few hours.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Yeah going thru Odin seems to do it just fine assuming you have the tar file. It was just like flashing the NC2 leak. Flash the tar file in Odin using the AP button. I made sure the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time were checked (they were by default it seems). Good news is, it did not wipe my phone it seems, or maybe I forgot to check that option.
14th May 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 304

1,030 posts
best to WAIT until devs release an upgrade path they have tested. if you ODIN you may end up same as OTA and without root until maybe forever but who knows. if you dont care about root then go ahead.

BeansTown106 has already posted he has a copy of it and will work on releasing a pre-root just like NC2 so you can keep on the root path.
Last edited by fletch33; 14th May 2014 at 04:18 AM.
14th May 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #5  
Milwaukee, wi
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33

best to WAIT until devs release an upgrade path they have tested. if you ODIN you may end up same as OTA and without root until maybe forever but who knows. if you dont care about root then go ahead.

BeansTown106 has already posted he has a copy of it and will work on releasing a pre-root just like NC2 so you can keep on the root path.

I installed it through ODIN last night, no issues as far as root goes...
14th May 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 156

401 posts
More
I'm not here to tell you that you're making a grave mistake... but I would like to know WHY you want to update from NC2 to NC4.

My understanding is that NC2 was Verizon's development version, which has some pretty nice features that they do not want to general public to have, such as the ability to downgrade to MJE, and the software stubs (or whatever jargon you'd prefer) necessary to allow for kernel modules to be installed. This means the potential for a more open (less locked) bootloader. not necessarily fully unlocked, but at least allowing more wiggle room with kernel mods, but possibly fully AOSP-compatible.

That said... I think NC2 passed all the tests, and NC4 is the one that they released with all the locks in place, for public consumption.

So, I query you once again... why would you want to update to NC4? (A root-enabled release from Beans notwithstanding)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread