Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Swipe not working for symbol and numeric keys

Tip us?

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Swipe not working for symbol and numeric keys

hello, how come swipe does not work for symbolic and numeric keys?

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I also found that swpie does not work when running two apps side by side. Is this a bug?

muzzy996
Old
(Last edited by muzzy996; 13th May 2014 at 01:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 146
Which two apps, which one is active and what style of keyboard are you using at the time?

As for symbols, I've never done swiping when using symbols so I have no idea. My first reaction to your initial question was "Is swipe using symbols even supposed to work at all? Given that swipe is a form of predictive text input how would the keyboard predict anything if you're not spelling words since it's all symbols?"

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I can't use Swpie on numeric keys as well. Why swipe needs to be predictive? I use Samsung's virtual keyboard which came with the Note Pro? I don't remember the two apps. Will let you know latter.

muzzy996
Old
(Last edited by muzzy996; 14th May 2014 at 05:22 AM.) Reason: Edited for clarity.
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android View Post
I can't use Swpie on numeric keys as well. Why swipe needs to be predictive? I use Samsung's virtual keyboard which came with the Note Pro? I don't remember the two apps. Will let you know latter.
I'm going to go out on a limb here because I primarily use stock keyboards on my Nexus 4 and this tablet. It's been a few months since I've used other keyboards such as Swiftkey which also supports swipe input . . . In any event my understanding of swipe input based on the keyboards that I have used is this: the keyboard application analyzes the locations that your finger is stopping at and the directions in which your finger moves from each stopping point in order to predict the word that you are attempting to spell. The word that you are attempting to spell has to be in the dictionary of the language you have the keyboard application set to. If it isn't, the keyboard will not recognize the word and will therefore not predict it.

As an example; on both my phone and my Note Pro I have the keyboard language is set to English US. If I attempt to swipe the letters X-Y-L-E-C on the keyboard, which is just jibberish and not a real word in the english dictionary, the keyboard will not recognize this swipe pattern as a word and will attempt to predict something completely different (my tablet writes the word "clef" instead).

So what I'm saying is, how would the keyboard application know to string together a particular order of special characters?

Your answer is likely to be that it should know based upon where you pause with your fingers and you're right except that this isn't exactly how swipe was designed. Swipe is meant to allow you to minimize how long you need to pause. If you start at the letter T, swipe down rapidly to H and rapidly change direction towards E you need not stop exactly on the E key in order to have the keyboard predict the word "THE".

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks. I am using the stock Samsung virtual keyboard (US English) that came with the PRO 12.2. Trying to input things like muzzy996 using swipe does not work.

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Yeah, it's working as intended.

What irritates me about the stock keyboard is unlike Swiftkey it does not seem to allow for addition of a word into the dictionary easily and there is no obvious way to manage the dictionary.

This is really bothersome for me because in my writing for work I often use technical terms that are not in the default dictionary and I use these terms frequently in documents or emails. The predictive nature of the keyboard does not seem to learn my frequently typed words well at all.

I've just switched back to Swiftkey and will probably try using that for a bit to see if I like it more than the stock keyboard.

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Which version of SwiftKey of you use? Mine is SwiftKey Tablet 4.4.6.275. Swipe (called flow in SwiftKey) does not work. It seems that they have version 4. Worth to upgrade?

muzzy996
Old
(Last edited by muzzy996; 14th May 2014 at 04:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 146
I was using version 4.4.6.275. I believe they unified versions now, I'm not using the one for tablets (which I believe is now marked as legacy in the play store). In any case I have switched back to stock. SwiftKey is buggy when multi window is used. Often times the keyboard vanishes when typing in a window. Hopefully they fix this but I'm not sure when they will, I see posts about it in their support website that are a few months old.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk