Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 latency - are there any numbers backing it up?

Tip us?

psycoblaster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default M8 latency - are there any numbers backing it up?

Hey guys! I just bought the HTC M8, upgrading from my M7, and I owned a Galaxy S4 before that.
I really didn't expect the responsiveness/latency of the phone would be this great.
I guess it's a combination of software optimization and the leap from the snapdragon 600 to the snapdragon 801.

Now I'm a very musical person, and I've never been able to use any of my past android devices as a music device because of the notorious Android audio latency problem that exists on pretty much any android device. Any audio apps (piano apps, DAW, synth apps) have wayy too much latency that they are totally UNUSABLE for any type of production, and I had to always rely on my ipad to use it as a mobile DAW to create short segments of music whenever I have a sudden surge of inspiration.

What I've noticed after purchasing the M8 is that the M8 is a HUGE improvement when it comes to audio latency when compared to the M7 and S4. Now I don't have the knowledge or the right instruments to measure a factual touch/audio out latency in numbers, but I can just hear and feel the HUGE improvement.
Although the M8 isn't perfect, it's been a huge upgrade that mobile DAWs for android is now much more than just usable on my new device.

Now that being said, I've read a thread that the M8 kills the competition when it comes to touch latency, being slightly over 40ms.
While this might not be a huge deal for anyone, it definitely is for me when it comes to reducing the latency as much as possible.
No wonder why the M8 does feel much snappier than the M7.

Now what I really do want to know is the audio latency of the M8.
There has been many optimizations for nexus devices, and it's well known that the nexus 5 has the best audio latency out of all android phones.
While I do not own the nexus 5 to do any side by side comparisons, I really do want to know if there are any numbers out there that points out the actual audio latency of the M8, or if there are any audio developers who can hint me a way to measure the actual latency

This might not be a big deal for much, but it's a huge revelation for me. Much props to HTC, and I'm really loving the device.
Hope you guys test it out for yourself so you guys can add to your list why M8 is such a great product
The Following User Says Thank You to psycoblaster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mushages
Old
Thanks Meter 383

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoblaster View Post
Hey guys! I just bought the HTC M8, upgrading from my M7, and I owned a Galaxy S4 before that.
I really didn't expect the responsiveness/latency of the phone would be this great.
I guess it's a combination of software optimization and the leap from the snapdragon 600 to the snapdragon 801.

Now I'm a very musical person, and I've never been able to use any of my past android devices as a music device because of the notorious Android audio latency problem that exists on pretty much any android device. Any audio apps (piano apps, DAW, synth apps) have wayy too much latency that they are totally UNUSABLE for any type of production, and I had to always rely on my ipad to use it as a mobile DAW to create short segments of music whenever I have a sudden surge of inspiration.

What I've noticed after purchasing the M8 is that the M8 is a HUGE improvement when it comes to audio latency when compared to the M7 and S4. Now I don't have the knowledge or the right instruments to measure a factual touch/audio out latency in numbers, but I can just hear and feel the HUGE improvement.
Although the M8 isn't perfect, it's been a huge upgrade that mobile DAWs for android is now much more than just usable on my new device.

Now that being said, I've read a thread that the M8 kills the competition when it comes to touch latency, being slightly over 40ms.
While this might not be a huge deal for anyone, it definitely is for me when it comes to reducing the latency as much as possible.
No wonder why the M8 does feel much snappier than the M7.

Now what I really do want to know is the audio latency of the M8.
There has been many optimizations for nexus devices, and it's well known that the nexus 5 has the best audio latency out of all android phones.
While I do not own the nexus 5 to do any side by side comparisons, I really do want to know if there are any numbers out there that points out the actual audio latency of the M8, or if there are any audio developers who can hint me a way to measure the actual latency

This might not be a big deal for much, but it's a huge revelation for me. Much props to HTC, and I'm really loving the device.
Hope you guys test it out for yourself so you guys can add to your list why M8 is such a great product
Well it's faster than the iphone 5s and note 3 someone posted some scores here. Search you can find them.. till that day I guess you are holding the fastest touch responsive device in the world. Maybe S5 got a better score but it's not confirmed yet
FiReFlaMe
Previous:HTC HD2 (Leo) {R.I.P}, HTC Butterfly S(Sold)
Current:SE Xperia X1 (HTC Kovsky), HTC One X (Tegra 3), HTC One M8

Donate or Thank to help me!

eikast
Old
(Last edited by eikast; 13th May 2014 at 09:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Funky...so-far_id54887

Latency is great but idk about the touch response. Sometimes I have trouble clicking on the search bar in Chrome. And I'm coming from the iPhone 5s so my fingers tend to be a little bit more precise due to the smaller screen size.

P. S. now I have adjusted so i don't have that problem any more

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

jonny68
Old
Thanks Meter 586
It's extremely responsive, much more so than any other phone I've ever tried.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
HTC One M8
Motorola Moto G
Nexus 7 32GB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonny68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eikast
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68 View Post
It's extremely responsive, much more so than any other phone I've ever tried.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I think I know what my problem was. The iPhone screen can easily respond to angled touches like if I'm using my thumb at an angle. I just use my thumb differently and the phone works great.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk