Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Virgin Mobile SPH-L710 will not display charging current with apps

Tip us?

Brizors
Old
(Last edited by Brizors; 8th May 2014 at 01:40 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Virgin Mobile SPH-L710 will not display charging current with apps

Like the title says, I have an unmodified SPH-L710 bought from Virgin Mobile and I am trying to read the charging amps using different chargers/cables.

I have tried:
Galaxy Charging Current *Lite*, which gives a n/a and 0 reading.
Terminal Emulator, with code "cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_now" returns that the file does not exist or something similar.
Battery Charge Source Current, which read unknown charger and 0.

The only app that seems to half-heartedly work is Battery Monitor Widget which sometimes gives me a reading but I feel it's inaccurate due to how the refresh does not update when told to, it updates very slow/on it's own and reports seemingly random amperage.

I understand that a "data" cable limits charging to .5A and a "charging" cable charges a.9A, also that the Galaxy S3 max pull/draw is .9A.
My other question is how can I tell if I am using a "data" cable or a "charging" cable, especially since I can't seem to measure charging amps.

So I'm basically trying to get at:
1. Why won't my device show charging amperage with the above apps, and if there is another app/method I should try?
2. How can I tell with my current situation which of my cables are "data" cables and which are "charging" cables.

Brizors
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Is this the right place to post this?

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1573
I would think Q&A section but oh well. I'm sure if anyone knew they'd answer here too. Shrug!

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Brizors
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT View Post
I would think Q&A section but oh well. I'm sure if anyone knew they'd answer here too. Shrug!

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.
Oops, but yeah you're probably right. I have a feeling it's because it's a Virgin Mobile phone. :/

Brizors
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
bump