KDZ of Android 5.0.1 Captured for T-Mobile LG G3

T-Mobile US is yet to release the 20B Lollipop build for the LG G3. Luckily enough, you … more

Build Custom Stock Kernel with Linaro GCC 4.9.1

With this guide for Sony devices, you will learn how to build a kernel using the Linaro … more

What’s Your Biggest Reason for Not Owning an iPhone?

With XDA being a community of Android enthusiasts, it is not uncommon to see … more

“New Kernel” for OnePlus One

If you are hungry for a new kernel on your OnePlus One, XDA Senior Member jgcaap‘s … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Lens distortion! Who else is bothered?

4th May 2014, 08:47 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
Am I the only person who is bothered by the amount of lens distortion you get on the Z2?
I sold the Z1 for that reason, and just when about to take a picture of my Note 3, when I wanted to put it up for sale, it shows the Z2 has just the same amount of distortion.
I'm attaching a picture taken with the Z2. Just check out the horizontal straight lines, in the Windows box and the monitor frame. It all bulges in and outwards.
I imagine my camera isn't the only one.
Why is nobody else bothered by this? Any fix for this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	2725670  
The Following User Says Thank You to naujoks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 04:34 AM |#2  
raducanmihai's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brașov
Thanks Meter: 31
 
145 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
It might be an optical illusion. If there is a lens problem why the phone's line are straight? Open in a photo editor and draw a line between the top and bottom corners of the box and see if there is an illusion or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to raducanmihai For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 05:44 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
199 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
The fix is lightroom or Photoshop hehe

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk
5th May 2014, 07:18 AM |#4  
Jackos's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Breslau
Thanks Meter: 544
 
3,657 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
I'm no expert in photography, but I guess it's because you took a close shot. If you take pictures from more far away this won't be an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, this is an issue related to the small optical sensor.

I don't know if all phones nowadays suffer from this, but I'm sure the HTC One M7 did.

Usually the phone corrects this using software methods.
5th May 2014, 10:19 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackos

I'm no expert in photography, but I guess it's because you took a close shot. If you take pictures from more far away this won't be an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, this is an issue related to the small optical sensor.

I don't know if all phones nowadays suffer from this, but I'm sure the HTC One M7 did.

Usually the phone corrects this using software methods.

It's definitely no optical illusion, and Photoshop is also not quite the answer, as the distortion is quite irregular. I tried applying the lens distortion filter, but it won't come out right.
Straight lines at the left and right also slant towards the middle.
Small lens problem, yes. But that Galaxy Note 3 also has a small lens, and the problem there is far less pronounced. On top of that you get the blurriness in all the Z2 pictures.
I'm really quite disappointed. I sold the Z1 shortly after getting it for the same problems, I was optimistic that Sony had sorted the problem, but sadly that is not the case.
10th May 2014, 07:43 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by naujoks

It's definitely no optical illusion, and Photoshop is also not quite the answer, as the distortion is quite irregular. I tried applying the lens distortion filter, but it won't come out right.
Straight lines at the left and right also slant towards the middle.
Small lens problem, yes. But that Galaxy Note 3 also has a small lens, and the problem there is far less pronounced. On top of that you get the blurriness in all the Z2 pictures.
I'm really quite disappointed. I sold the Z1 shortly after getting it for the same problems, I was optimistic that Sony had sorted the problem, but sadly that is not the case.

I have this problem too when shooting video as well as taking pictures. My Z1 and Z did not have this problem. It should be something that is corrected when the shot is taken but it seems it's not. I'll contact Sony as it seems only you and I here have this problem...
14th May 2014, 06:25 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidswede

I have this problem too when shooting video as well as taking pictures. My Z1 and Z did not have this problem. It should be something that is corrected when the shot is taken but it seems it's not. I'll contact Sony as it seems only you and I here have this problem...

Mine seems ok but the corners are quite blurry which was also reported by some reviewers. Especially the left lower corner. A bit dissapointing compared to my previous phone the Galaxy S4. But I usually crop the photos anyway.

Greetings

David
14th May 2014, 08:46 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcartagena

Mine seems ok but the corners are quite blurry which was also reported by some reviewers. Especially the left lower corner. A bit dissapointing compared to my previous phone the Galaxy S4. But I usually crop the photos anyway.

Greetings

David

Go here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Help/Distortion.aspx and choose "WAVE DISTORSION", check if it looks like this when you are shooting something 40-50 cm or closer... you really should see it. I have the blurry corners too. Again Z and Z1 did NOT suffer from this problem. Hope to hear back from Sony but my complaint was their first but a friend of mine has the exact same problem.
14th May 2014, 10:46 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
131 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
Here's my test picture I've taken.
Looks like a typical case of pin cushion distortion.
I think it's pretty bad. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0044.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2744121  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes