Ask a question

No registration required

SIM cover is stuck

OP djonathan

11th May 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I can't find any threads nor mention of this particular problem: I loosened the SIM cover screws a few turns, but the cover remains firmly in place.

Are the SIM cover screws captured or loose? That is, after removing the cover, can the screws fall out or they stay in place? As I loosened the screws they did not rise up, then stayed flush with the case. This suggests that they are captured, that the cover is stuck in place (with that often mentioned sealant?), and that by loosening the screws I may have stripped the case threads.

If the screws are not captured, then why didn't they rise up, even if the cover was stuck? How many screw turns does it take before the SIM cover can be removed?

BTW, after "loosening" the screws I did try prying the cover up with a knife blade. No luck.
12th May 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 119

568 posts
That is a new one.

The sim screws only have maybe 4 threads in to hold them in the watch body. I think there are little tiny washers on the inside that holds them more or less onto the sim slot cover plate (which is a symmetric, though that is not blindingly obvious). They can fall out anyway, because any washers that might have been installed tend to break and tear and self destruct, which is convenient for Omate because then they can void any water-resistance warranty you might have felt you deserved (this is a big priority for Omate, apparently, damage control...)

Under the plate is a flimsy black plastic gasket (usually, depending on assembly issues), and you should just pry the plate out. It will eventually give up. Or, you could open the back cover and remove parts cleaning the crap out from where the drunken underpaid Umeox assembler got especially sloppy. Then you could push your sim slot cover plate out from the inside, probably.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trent999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th May 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Re: SIM cover is stuck
Armed with your info, I had another go at it under an illuminated magnifier. Once again the screws loosened, but the cover was firmly stuck. Since there's no real gap between cover and case (nor should there be), I wedged the point of an xacto blade into one of the microscopic screw slots and gave a little sideways prying action -- the cover popped off.

Next up, a second trip to ATT to enable service.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread