Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,247 Members 46,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Broke Wifi and fails to power off

Tip us?

HOmERCIdAL
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Broke Wifi and fails to power off

Hi, I have a 2 week old handset which has now twice displayed a pretty strange/annoying bug.

I have been using no Stamina settings other than location based WiFi and queue background data for the most part to gauge battery life under my normal work schedule but I noticed last week that my saved WiFi at home wasn't on, so instinctively I tried to click the WiFi symbol but to no avail.
I then tried to restart the phone, but when pressing the power off option, it simply booted me back on to the screen I was on before hand. This continually happened until I got pee'd off and repaired it.

Again today I ran into the exact same problem. No WiFi and I could not power off. After several attempts at powering off I managed to get it to boot into safe mode where I started uninstalling apps to rule out any rogue apps. I still couldn't reboot forcing me to repair and wipe the phone.

I keep telling myself that this is merely a software bug and I can't seem to find other posts where people are suffering similar problems.

So I futilely ask, has anyone ever had anything similar happen to theirs?.

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Yeah I think this is a software bug too, a similar thing has happened to me a couple of times with the wifi becoming "stuck" and rebooting the phone fixed it but if you're having trouble shutting down your phone, have you got quickboot enabled? Regardless of that though, you do have two options to force a restart, either hold volume up and power, this will force shutdown or press the small red button next to the sim card tray.
Phone History: -
Ericsson A1018s > Ericsson T20e > Nokia 3510i > Motorola V600 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K800i > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 > HTC Desire > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z2 (Current)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyIntruder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HOmERCIdAL
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyIntruder View Post
Yeah I think this is a software bug too, a similar thing has happened to me a couple of times with the wifi becoming "stuck" and rebooting the phone fixed it but if you're having trouble shutting down your phone, have you got quickboot enabled? Regardless of that though, you do have two options to force a restart, either hold volume up and power, this will force shutdown or press the small red button next to the sim card tray.
I am pretty sure it is the quick boot option now. Stupid bug.

Phew...don't have to return it now.

BanziBaby
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I think sony have disabled the quick boot functionality for some reason, I ticked it thinking it might be almost like a reboot instead of power off & then power on, later I noticed the power off menu wasn't doing anything when tapping it, was almost about to do a reset but then remembered I ticked the quick boot option.

Hope they enable it in future updates.
Tags
power off problem, wifi wont switch on, wont power off