Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,756 Members 51,060 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HELP - child wiped out phone (brick?) and mom needs help...

Tip us?

Bchgirl19
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
You got your 11-year-old a $700 smartphone. What did you think would happen? Why in the world does a kid that young even need a smartphone?
I'm glad you are so concerned with my wallet! Where did you even come up with that figure of $700!? Try again!!

greyhulk
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchgirl19 View Post
I'm glad you are so concerned with my wallet! Where did you even come up with that figure of $700!? Try again!!
Oh, I'm sorry. Are you counting the on contract price? Okay. Well, throw it on the ground or drop it in a pool or give it to a child to ruin. Now go back to the store to get a replacement and see how much it costs. You also signed a contract and took on an extra monthly data plan... For a child. The fact that you have no clue how much the phone actually costs explains a lot, actually.

I'm not concerned about your wallet. You clearly have more money than sense, so rather than crying here, just go buy a replacement phone for him to ruin. While you're at it, go ahead and get him an espresso machine.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

johnnyutah22
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. Are you counting the on contract price? Okay. Well, throw it on the ground or drop it in a pool or give it to a child to ruin. Now go back to the store to get a replacement and see how much it costs. You also signed a contract and took on an extra monthly data plan... For a child. The fact that you have no clue how much the phone actually costs explains a lot, actually.

I'm not concerned about your wallet. You clearly have more money than sense, so rather than crying here, just go buy a replacement phone for him to ruin. While you're at it, go ahead and get him an espresso machine.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk
Seems like she asked a question to a problem and it was answered. I'm not sure how taking a personal shot at a newcomer to the forum accomplishes anything. Her decision to buy her son anything is hers and hers alone, why inject your opinion into it, much less insinuate that she has no sense. It comes off as aloof and petty. This doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this forum. Flame away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnnyutah22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bchgirl19
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah22 View Post
Seems like she asked a question to a problem and it was answered. I'm not sure how taking a personal shot at a newcomer to the forum accomplishes anything. Her decision to buy her son anything is hers and hers alone, why inject your opinion into it, much less insinuate that she has no sense. It comes off as aloof and petty. This doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this forum. Flame away.
Thanks a bunch for your support and from all of those who responded. I've visited various forums in my life and am well aware that there are always those few who just like to be mean and find power on these boards. I didn't come here asking for anyone's opinion on what I allow my children to do or how they spend their allowance - just needed some advice. Sincerely appreciate the great input that I have received.

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 15th May 2014 at 03:41 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchgirl19 View Post
The actual retail cost of the device is $639; which would also be the replacement cost of this device. The on-contract price of $199 is just a subsidized cost, which the carrier basically spreads over the length of your 2-year contract.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]