Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card"

OP RChris173

15th May 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

44 posts
I installed the latest RUU from HTC (4.13.651.4) Phone is S-OFF.

Immediately, upon first boot, the phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card..." There is nothing that seems to stop it. I have reflashed the firmware, ran the RUU several times, ##72786# reset, but the phone keeps going in this endless loop of "Preparing SIM card", which drains the battery and even turns off the cellular radio at random times.

Sprint support has no clue and I am basically left with no options at this point.

What can be done -- do I need a new phone??
Last edited by RChris173; 16th May 2014 at 11:41 PM.
15th May 2014, 05:00 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 6,404

1,899 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChris173

I installed the latest RUU from HTC (4.13.651.4) and have TWRP and SuperSU v. 1.94 running. Phone is S-OFF.

Immediately, the phone.apk app keeps asking for superuser privileges to chmod 666 a sys file of some kind. I tried doing fix permissions from within TWRP, granting/denying the request, reflashing the RUU, but nothing seems to work.

I don't know why all of a sudden it decided to do this. It drains the battery really fast, too and interferes with the normal operation of the device.

grant permissions or use another superuser app, this has been a bug in superSU for quite a while.
15th May 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistertensai

grant permissions or use another superuser app, this has been a bug in superSU for quite a while.

As I said in my original post, I tried granting it permissions and it still does it even though it has permission.

Also, it did not do this before. It just started doing it overnight one time and drained the phone until it died. I thought that reflashing the RUU would fix it, but apparently not...
15th May 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 6,404

1,899 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As I said in my original post, I tried granting it permissions and it still does it even though it has permission.

Also, it did not do this before. It just started doing it overnight one time and drained the phone until it died. I thought that reflashing the RUU would fix it, but apparently not...

try another superuser then. and odd it's repeatedly asking. you running any mods, tweaks, xposed?
15th May 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistertensai

try another superuser then. and odd it's repeatedly asking. you running any mods, tweaks, xposed?

There are no modifications. I simply flash the RUU 4.13.651.4. Flash TWRP. Problem occurs. In fact, I don't even have to have SuperSU installed. I know it is trying to do something because it keeps cycling through saying "Reading SIM card..." and there is an icon on the top left that has a picture of a SIM card with an exclamation point on it.
Last edited by RChris173; 15th May 2014 at 05:16 AM.
15th May 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #6  
Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 121

329 posts
Do a data reset from dialer ##72786# and when it loads (you may have to wait a few seconds) select reset from upper right corner. You may need to switch to CDMA Only to get it to work--I did. This solved the problem for me. I was having almost identical SIM card problems after running the RUU.
15th May 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMadre

Do a data reset from dialer ##72786# and when it loads (you may have to wait a few seconds) select reset from upper right corner. You may need to switch to CDMA Only to get it to work--I did. This solved the problem for me. I was having almost identical SIM card problems after running the RUU.

I tried this already and it did not fix it.
16th May 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

44 posts
I tried a different ROM, but it still happens. I don't have the TEP from Sprint. I don't know what I should do. I can't have the phone like this...
16th May 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

44 posts
I updated my first post to reflect everything that I have tried and I am basically left with a messed up device.

Any ideas?
16th May 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #10  
Flag East Stroudsburg
Thanks Meter: 441

864 posts
More
Quote:

I updated my first post to reflect everything that I have tried and I am basically left with a messed up device.

Any ideas?

I would consider using VipeRUU or using the official HTC RUU for 3.17 firmware. Since you're S-off, you can revert back to older software.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread