[Q] Returned from factory with KNOX - what do I do?

15th May 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

50 posts
Hi everyone, I just had my phone repaired at the factory, sent in with a stock T-Mobile 4.2.2 ROM, but came back with KNOX.

I HAVE NOT booted the phone up -- I put it into download mode only to see the KNOX flags. But it's probably been booted before for testing at the factory.

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn it on normally (to help with ridding myself of KNOX problems)?

Eventually, I want to root it and/or install a custom ROM.
15th May 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #2  
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110

231 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j111

Hi everyone, I just had my phone repaired at the factory, sent in with a stock T-Mobile 4.2.2 ROM, but came back with KNOX.

I HAVE NOT booted the phone up -- I put it into download mode only to see the KNOX flags. But it's probably been booted before for testing at the factory.

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn it on normally (to help with ridding myself of KNOX problems)?

Eventually, I want to root it and/or install a custom ROM.

You can go ahead and boot up. There's nothing you can do right now at this moment that will save you versus later in time.

If they wiped your data and you're starting fresh, you may want to look into it soon as so you don't gain personal data which then you'll need to back up (extra step).

As for rooting/custom roms I cannot speak for the S4 but I can look into it if requested. But you could (I mean hopefully..) search the forums just as well as I can, so..

Hope this helps,

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongillion63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

50 posts
Yup, I will search away. Just good to confirm that turning it on won't do me a disservice. Thanks!!
15th May 2014, 05:29 AM   |  #4  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 878

3,033 posts
More
Chainfire like usual. Custom recovery. Will trip Knox. But only problem is a warning message on boot up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th May 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters

Chainfire like usual. Custom recovery. Will trip Knox. But only problem is a warning message on boot up.

Warnings don't bother me, but I would like to have the ability to reset the KNOX flag in case the phone needs to go back for warranty repair.

Is KNOX resettable to zero in that way or is it irreversible?
15th May 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #6  
Crystal River
Thanks Meter: 128

493 posts
More
Quote:

Warnings don't bother me, but I would like to have the ability to reset the KNOX flag in case the phone needs to go back for warranty repair.

Sadly once KNOX is tripped there is no going back

The Following User Says Thank You to Kriptik210 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #7  
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110

231 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It is programmatically permanent. Meaning that there isn't a method of resetting it via software but only by hardware (board replacement etc). There will soon be a Riffbox solution where you can reflash the bootloader by a serial port, you will undoubtedly have to solder the tiny wires to the microscopic solder points on the board. (Yikes) We hope to god that someone finds a knox exploit soon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongillion63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 07:37 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

50 posts
Unhappy
Thanks everyone for the replies!

WOW! Hard to believe. So no one with a newer S4 or S5 can root without voiding warranty? No going back? That's terrible.

I wonder if this means less people are rooting these days. Darn, I want to get rid of bloat, but warranty is important to me.

I assumed with the advent of the S5, someone had figured it out. Here's to hoping someone does.
16th May 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #9  
Crystal River
Thanks Meter: 128

493 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the replies!

WOW! Hard to believe. So no one with a newer S4 or S5 can root without voiding warranty? No going back? That's terrible.

I wonder if this means less people are rooting these days. Darn, I want to get rid of bloat, but warranty is important to me.

I assumed with the advent of the S5, someone had figured it out. Here's to hoping someone does.

People have been reporting that they have sent there phone in on a warranty with KNOX tripped to 0x1 and getting it back with KNOX set back to 0x0. I guess it's a hit or miss.

16th May 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3,879

4,916 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptik210

People have been reporting that they have sent there phone in on a warranty with KNOX tripped to 0x1 and getting it back with KNOX set back to 0x0. I guess it's a hit or miss.

I have yet to hear a report about warrenty being denied due to knox. So it's not a real worry. At least not yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skipjacks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread