Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,819 Members 40,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Someone plz help a n00b trying to root...

Tip us?

messier42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Someone plz help a n00b trying to root...

Any help or advice here would be GREATLY appreciated --

Q: Is it possible to get root on my S3? SCH-I535 running stock android 4.3 (I535VRUCNC1)

First, I am new to rooting so please refrain from ridicule... I have been online literally since this morning trying to find a way to do this, so needless to say I have searched. Tried Motochopper in OS X, and when that didn't work, went so far as to install Windows in VMware to try saferoot and CF autoroot--still no luck. From what I've read, I am I correct in understanding that this may not be possible? Bottom line: All I want is root in order to mount the internal memory to a volume for recovery of deleted files.

Thanks!

ATGkompressor
Old
Thanks Meter 21
You're gonna have to ODIN back to ML1. NC1 has a Saferoot/Safestrap patch... The is thread on it. XDA search is your friend...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rushead
Old
Thanks Meter 724
Try this:
http://nasirtech.blogspot.com/2014/0...-43-stock.html
And the knowledge that we fear is a weapon to be used against us....

messier42
Old
(Last edited by messier42; 11th May 2014 at 05:05 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks guys, but I've just about given up on this and am not too eager to dig my hole deeper. I'll spare the details as to why I'm doing this, but at this rate I also wonder if my files could even be recovered from internal memory after 2 days anyway.

I tried reverting to ML1 with the method here: [GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
and had even worse luck as it ended up soft-bricking my phone into Odin/download mode loop that said "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..." Fortunately this morning I gave it one last go assuming nothing to lose and tried repartitioning with just the pit file in Odin 3.07, and that got it to reboot.
@Rushead, I have tried the method in that link to the best of my ability and haven't had any luck. It fails at writing NAND.

I wonder if the fact that I'm attempting this on my mac in a Windows XP x64 virtual machine is part of the problem. I hadn't used it in years and ran a ton of updates, but I've been getting errors to the effect of "Wlanapi.dll is missing" since installing the samsung drivers and Kies. Perhaps I just can't get the drivers to install correctly?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by messier42 View Post
Thanks guys, but I've just about given up on this and am not too eager to dig my hole deeper. I'll spare the details as to why I'm doing this, but at this rate I also wonder if my files could even be recovered from internal memory after 2 days anyway.

I tried reverting to ML1 with the method here: [GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
and had even worse luck as it ended up soft-bricking my phone into Odin/download mode loop that said "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..." Fortunately this morning I gave it one last go assuming nothing to lose and tried repartitioning with just the pit file in Odin 3.07, and that got it to reboot.
@Rushead, I have tried the method in that link to the best of my ability and haven't had any luck. It fails at writing NAND.

I wonder if the fact that I'm attempting this on my mac in a Windows XP x64 virtual machine is part of the problem. I hadn't used it in years and ran a ton of updates, but I've been getting errors to the effect of "Wlanapi.dll is missing" since installing the samsung drivers and Kies. Perhaps I just can't get the drivers to install correctly?
Try an actual Windows machine before giving up hope bud
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

Ken98045
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushead View Post
There are links to this guy all over. However, I can't get it to work and neither can anybody else as far as I can see. Don't bother.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken98045 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]