Not happy running custom rom 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Are you happy with your xperia sp?

Tip us?

Treboeth
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Need to change my answer.

Slim 4.3 is now available for LBL SP if you haven't tried Slim Roms I fully recommend you go for this one.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

hoven00
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Being my first ever mid range smartphone I must say this is a pretty decent device. Been using stock rom for the most part until I upgraded to the official 4.3 android. I don't know why but after making the upgrade my phone became very unresponsive and even going into settings would freeze my phone for a good 40 seconds.
Installed the unofficial Carbon rom 4.3 and everything was smooth, but does not support fast charging (charging from wall took twice as long). Went to Carbon 4.4.2, while not as smooth as the 4.3 one i was happy with it.

joesnose
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Does anyone find the touchscreen not responsive enough?

I have a galaxy s2 and a nexus 7 2012 and have no issues with touchscreen, but the xsp whether running stock , custom stock or custom is just not responsive enough!

I am actually sending mine back as I am still within my 14 day return policy. Have put my sim back in my s2 with cracked glass, much better!

UsernameWasTaken
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Got XSP with 4.3, .201 preinstalled. Crap experience as stutters and microfreezes were very common. Coming from LG Optimus 4X, I still feel a downgrade in term of UI. LG UI is miles ahead when it comes to customization and usability, Sony's too rigid, overly complicated and lacks certain useful options. Battery life - much better. Camera is comparable to LG. Hardware more capable (great Antutu score and Epic Citadel benchmarks), gets noticeably less hot.

Downgraded to rooted 4.1 generic UK with .254 kernel because of trashy performance of 4.3. UI is about the same, but runs smoothly and is responsive. Now, the battery life became really bad. I could put the phone in pure standby mode fully charged and it would lose 1-2% in 10 minutes doing nothing. Total of 10% lost during an hour of laying on a table in standby, screen off, no mobile data, wifi, bt, background services or programs at all. Even notorious-for-bad-batt-life Optimus 4X didn't have that much a drop under same conditions. No drops in GSM signal. When I check with BetterBatteryStats, I see a few wakelocks I never saw on O4X. Froze a bunch of apps and tweaked the system a bit, but that didn't help. I can get a day off the cable with modest usage, maybe.

Downsides of v4.1 compared to O4X on 4.1, besides already stated or widely known:
- No SIM contacts usage other than Import from SIM option, always and exclusively phone's internal phonebook active
- Less user-available RAM (766MB on 4.1, little under 900MB on 4.3)
- Bugfix updates that don't fix obvious problems
- Bunch of mostly useless bloatware
- A PC software like LG On-Screen Phone doesn't exist
- Overall configurability and customisability of the device are lower
- Charging takes forever. Even on USB port connection, O4X charged quite fast, and faster on supplied wall charger.
- More gestures/steps needed to perform certain operations in UI
- Liked the power toogles better on LG
- Lockscreen rigid on 4.1, can't put custom shortcuts on it.
- Sony trades you the bootloader unlock code for your phone's IMEI and they make you acknowledge your warranty "may be" void. There are methods to relock it, but I'm sure they keep the IMEI somewhere in a singular database accessible by repair shops, so my guess is that you can kiss your warranty good-bye.
- More complex root procedure, and tiresome if you want 4.3 and unlocked bootloader afterwards
- I don't use OTG or MHL and there's no LTE where I live, so, at the moment, that does nothing for me.

I could go into even greater details, but that would require much time and space, and this is not the place for it. Haven't yet came around to install a custom non-stock based ROM, but I strongly feel I should.

To summarize, I thought the phone would be a step up to my previous one, but in reality I traded one set of problems for another. Gotta say I was happier with LG.

joesnose
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Well I eventually kept mine thanks to slimkat for locked bootloader. don't know if you have locked bootloader or not but custom rom is the way to go.

Slimkat has made my sp into a very functional phone.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 2