Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 44,828 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I root update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120?

Tip us?

donalgodon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 658
Default [Q] Can I root update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120?

I'm picking up a used Kindle HD 8.9. I'm not sure what version of SW is on it, but can I root and install Playstore on update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120 in case it's at the latest already?
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2] Stock N900UBUDND1 APR 17, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNC1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

TABLET: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Stock

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
I'm picking up a used Kindle HD 8.9. I'm not sure what version of SW is on it, but can I root and install Playstore on update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120 in case it's at the latest already?
yes its rootable and such(all amazon os versions are on the 2012 hd's), though personally i would just flash a custom rom on it, but yea its rootable and can use the playstore with stock os.
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
yes its rootable and such(all amazon os versions are on the 2012 hd's), though personally i would just flash a custom rom on it, but yea its rootable and can use the playstore with stock os.
That's what I was hoping. I'm getting a good deal on it, and I love the idea of a custom ROM, but I actually use some of the Kindle-specific features, such as having the device read to me, etc. which I use quite a lot, and I'm afraid I'd miss them too much.

Is the later version of the Fire OS just as laggy as the earlier releases? That's the only real criticism I've seen that would bug me.

Do I need root to use the Playstore, or can I just sideload an apk of the Playstore app?

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
You have to root for the play store because part of it is a system app. The later versions of fire os got worse in my opinion, they disabled wallpaper from working and my fix is one of the only ways to get it working on the newer versions and its a little buggy itself. I believe cm has some kinda reading ability but idk the extent of it because I have never used it. I can vouch for the cm ROM as I came from cm 10.1 to cm 11 recently and man was there a difference in speed, much much faster. I can't really tell if amazon os was fast or not as I haven't used it in a while, probably about a year.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
You have to root for the play store because part of it is a system app. The later versions of fire os got worse in my opinion, they disabled wallpaper from working and my fix is one of the only ways to get it working on the newer versions and its a little buggy itself. I believe cm has some kinda reading ability but idk the extent of it because I have never used it. I can vouch for the cm ROM as I came from cm 10.1 to cm 11 recently and man was there a difference in speed, much much faster. I can't really tell if amazon os was fast or not as I haven't used it in a while, probably about a year.

So, in your view, how is CM 11 now on the 8.9? I'm debating whether to flash it or not at this point.

Quote:

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
I can only vouch for what I have used on the 7" model, but considering they are both updated quite a bit they should both be about the same, I have to say it is awesome, my only regret is Google took out the tablet navbar from the code and cm hasn't added it back in as a feature(it's not hashcodes fault in the least). If you haven't ever seen a tablet navbar then just forget I said that as the configuration night he standard navbar is about the same as Amazon's minus the fact its got android looking buttons. I just personally don't like having to use 2 thumbs to hit my soft keys.

donalgodon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
I can only vouch for what I have used on the 7" model, but considering they are both updated quite a bit they should both be about the same, I have to say it is awesome, my only regret is Google took out the tablet navbar from the code and cm hasn't added it back in as a feature(it's not hashcodes fault in the least). If you haven't ever seen a tablet navbar then just forget I said that as the configuration night he standard navbar is about the same as Amazon's minus the fact its got android looking buttons. I just personally don't like having to use 2 thumbs to hit my soft keys.

Do you mean that the Kindle CM 11 doesn't have a full-screen immerse mode? Is the navbar not configurable?

Quote:

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
It has full screen immersion, I love that feature BTW. And the nav bar is configurable was just talking about this(this is from my cm 10.1 days):

Could only find a portrait screenshot, could a sworn I had landscape pics too...

donalgodon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 658
Quote:
It has full screen immersion, I love that feature BTW. And the nav bar is configurable was just talking about this(this is from my cm 10.1 days):

Could only find a portrait screenshot, could a sworn I had landscape pics too...

So, there's no way to blend the on-screen buttons into the UI (not sure how to describe it) as I've seen on other devices?

Quote:

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
If you are talking about what is seen in my pic the answer is not yet, Google removed the code necessary for that style navbar + status bar and cm hasn't added it back in, I think some people in the kf1 forum were attempting to. It is just a kitkat thing in general, not sure of PAC ROMs have it or not but I still recommend cm 11 despite this. Personally I mainly just liked this layout because it didn't require the use of both thumbs to reach for the buttons.