Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Group messaging is missing

OP urklegrue

20th April 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I seemed to have lost the ability to send or receive group messages. My Hangouts app does not have the option under advanced settings, where it was definitely there on my nexus 5. I have had the phone for a week and I only noticed after I tried to send a group message so I am not sure if it was there and disappeared or it was never there to begin with. Group messages get sent as individual SMS instead of MMS. The phone is rooted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398022969600.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2698464  
21st April 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
190 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by urklegrue

I seemed to have lost the ability to send or receive group messages. My Hangouts app does not have the option under advanced settings, where it was definitely there on my nexus 5. I have had the phone for a week and I only noticed after I tried to send a group message so I am not sure if it was there and disappeared or it was never there to begin with. Group messages get sent as individual SMS instead of MMS. The phone is rooted.

I don't really know if is related to your root, but I doubt it, I have my group conversation options in both, default and Hangouts apps, so just to see, go to your default messaging app and go to settings, multimedia messages and be sure that you have the Group conversation selected there, maybe, and I'm guessing here, if it's not selected there, maybe Hangouts don't give you the option.
21st April 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #3  
atman8r's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 43
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by urklegrue

I seemed to have lost the ability to send or receive group messages. My Hangouts app does not have the option under advanced settings, where it was definitely there on my nexus 5. I have had the phone for a week and I only noticed after I tried to send a group message so I am not sure if it was there and disappeared or it was never there to begin with. Group messages get sent as individual SMS instead of MMS. The phone is rooted.

From what I've read, it would seem its a problem with the phone. I've also gotten mixed responses from the community here on XDA. Everything from Samsung saying they got rid of that feature all the way to it's the Sim cards. I don't have the option on any of them. So I'm in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
21st April 2014, 01:52 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasat

I don't really know if is related to your root, but I doubt it, I have my group conversation options in both, default and Hangouts apps, so just to see, go to your default messaging app and go to settings, multimedia messages and be sure that you have the Group conversation selected there, maybe, and I'm guessing here, if it's not selected there, maybe Hangouts don't give you the option.

My default messages app doesn't have the option either. It's like it doesn't exist.
I tried factory reset too and that didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium HD app
21st April 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #5  
yaniel06's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 113
 
316 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I have the sprint variant and group messaging is there

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I went to the T-Mobile store and switched the sim, and it works now. This may or may not matter, but the sim in which it didn't work was Isis-enabled, and the new one is not.
24th April 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by urklegrue

I went to the T-Mobile store and switched the sim, and it works now. This may or may not matter, but the sim in which it didn't work was Isis-enabled, and the new one is not.

I had the same issue as you.. Both of my SIM cards were ISIS sim cards. The one that came with the phone didnt allow for group messaging and the new one did..

I also have a issue with the stock messaging app not handling group conversations correctly when i am on wifi. When wifi is off, they come just fine, except they come in way slower than my wifes iphone 5S.. we both have tmobile.. I might be tempted to go back to the iphone 5s
24th April 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #8  
pezlomd's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag miami
Thanks Meter: 71
 
635 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
I have the option on my text messenger settings.. But my buddy just got his phone and this option is not available... What could that mean?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
25th April 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #9  
imilleson's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 705
 
1,614 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Mine is working fine

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
15th May 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #10  
v3patel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
312 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2007
Smile This is to confirm that issue is with SIM card
I did everything including switching Different SIM card, Finally Found out that ISIS SIM seems to be culprit, ( they are new one with NFC enabled)
Below screen show good and bad sim in terms for group messaging to work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-MobileSIMIssueWithGroupMessaging.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2745126

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes