MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unable to write to Ext SD card, what am I missing...

OP jdavis2037

13th May 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Anderson
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
More
I recently upgraded to the HTC M8, from the S3, ( Its good to be back home) but I noticed that the 64gb sd card I had in my S3
wouldn't let me write and save to my SD card. so I backed up my media and Formatted the card on my Laptop, but still didn't work,
then I formatted it on my M8, and still didn't work what am I missing? ..... The only way i can write to card, is if I tethered it to my laptop . PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
13th May 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 571

2,174 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis2037

I recently upgraded to the HTC M8, from the S3, ( Its good to be back home) but I noticed that the 64gb sd card I had in my S3
wouldn't let me write and save to my SD card. so I backed up my media and Formatted the card on my Laptop, but still didn't work,
then I formatted it on my M8, and still didn't work what am I missing? ..... The only way i can write to card, is if I tethered it to my laptop . PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

If your card is formatted exFAT, I think only CheckM8's kernel will support exFAT formatting (not sue about Faux' kernel).

If it's formatted FAT32, then you've stumbled into a "feature" of KitKat 4.4.2. There's literally dozens of threads all over xda about that.
13th May 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 60

207 posts
More
KitKat and all versions after block writing to the sd card by default. Like @hgoldner said it's a "feature." search around, there are ways to disable it and get external sd card access back

Sent from my VZW HTC One M8
13th May 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 31

214 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis2037

I think you have to root the phone to accomplish this, maybe you can flash the insecure kernel without root, but you can't edit the platform .xml file
14th May 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

27 posts
More
Must be rooted, exFat format because it's 64 gig and download this free app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
That's what worked for me!

♠sent from oneM8 via time & space♠
The Following User Says Thank You to rcfx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Anderson
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
More
Thanks for the response guys, I will look into it and hopefully I'll resolve it. Laters!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
memory, sd card 64gb
Previous Thread Next Thread