Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 50,926 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to write to Ext SD card, what am I missing...

Tip us?

jdavis2037
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unable to write to Ext SD card, what am I missing...

I recently upgraded to the HTC M8, from the S3, ( Its good to be back home) but I noticed that the 64gb sd card I had in my S3
wouldn't let me write and save to my SD card. so I backed up my media and Formatted the card on my Laptop, but still didn't work,
then I formatted it on my M8, and still didn't work what am I missing? ..... The only way i can write to card, is if I tethered it to my laptop . PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

hgoldner
Old
Thanks Meter 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis2037 View Post
I recently upgraded to the HTC M8, from the S3, ( Its good to be back home) but I noticed that the 64gb sd card I had in my S3
wouldn't let me write and save to my SD card. so I backed up my media and Formatted the card on my Laptop, but still didn't work,
then I formatted it on my M8, and still didn't work what am I missing? ..... The only way i can write to card, is if I tethered it to my laptop . PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
If your card is formatted exFAT, I think only CheckM8's kernel will support exFAT formatting (not sue about Faux' kernel).

If it's formatted FAT32, then you've stumbled into a "feature" of KitKat 4.4.2. There's literally dozens of threads all over xda about that.
Verizon Wireless HTC One M8 - Rooted/S-Off
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 2.21.605.2, TWRP, Skyfall
Asus Transformer TF300T - Rooted/unlocked
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 10.6.1.27.5; TWRP; CROMI-X
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - Rooted/locked - KitKat KTU84L (v4.4.3)
Chromecast - Rooted
Firmware/ROM:: FlashCast; Eureka ROM
Retired devices: HTC Rezound; Nexus 7 (2012); HTC Droid Incredible; Arnova 10 G2

sparky_005
Old
Thanks Meter 59
KitKat and all versions after block writing to the sd card by default. Like @hgoldner said it's a "feature." search around, there are ways to disable it and get external sd card access back

Sent from my VZW HTC One M8

Pauls57
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis2037 View Post
I think you have to root the phone to accomplish this, maybe you can flash the insecure kernel without root, but you can't edit the platform .xml file

rcfx
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Must be rooted, exFat format because it's 64 gig and download this free app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
That's what worked for me!

♠sent from oneM8 via time & space♠
The Following User Says Thank You to rcfx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdavis2037
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the response guys, I will look into it and hopefully I'll resolve it. Laters!
Tags
memory, sd card 64gb