Ask a question

No registration required

Full desktop?

OP abumy

2nd May 2014, 01:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57

364 posts
Just wondering, is the current Ubuntu Touch supporting a full desktop when connected to a monitor like through an HDMI?

I saw videos from Ubuntu on this feature and wanted to know if it working?

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd May 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,408

2,805 posts
More
It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.
The whole concept is what they call Convergence.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikwen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

364 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwen

It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.
The whole concept is what they call Convergence.

Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

3rd May 2014, 11:56 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor

2,805 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumy

Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

Yep, I totally agree, full convergence will be awesome. I'm eagerly waiting for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikwen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 08:20 AM   |  #5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
I only used ubuntu on the pc
14th May 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

364 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercelman

I only used ubuntu on the pc

At present me too.

15th May 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor

2,805 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumy

At present me too.

It's great on both PC and mobile. However, on mobile it still has a long way to go until it reaches the state when it can be used by the average end-user. Keep in mind that it's making progress very fast though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread