FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Full desktop?

2nd May 2014, 12:34 AM |#1  
abumy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Just wondering, is the current Ubuntu Touch supporting a full desktop when connected to a monitor like through an HDMI?

I saw videos from Ubuntu on this feature and wanted to know if it working?

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
 
2nd May 2014, 10:13 PM |#2  
nikwen's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,535
 
More
It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.
The whole concept is what they call Convergence.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikwen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 11:31 PM |#3  
abumy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwen

It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.
The whole concept is what they call Convergence.

Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd May 2014, 10:56 AM |#4  
nikwen's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,535
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumy

Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yep, I totally agree, full convergence will be awesome. I'm eagerly waiting for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikwen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 07:20 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I only used ubuntu on the pc
14th May 2014, 12:58 AM |#6  
abumy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercelman

I only used ubuntu on the pc

At present me too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th May 2014, 04:46 PM |#7  
nikwen's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,535
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumy

At present me too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It's great on both PC and mobile. However, on mobile it still has a long way to go until it reaches the state when it can be used by the average end-user. Keep in mind that it's making progress very fast though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes