Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help! Need to keep root prior to Kitkat upgrade

Tip us?

spapesh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Help! Need to keep root prior to Kitkat upgrade

I am on a locked RAZR HD. If anyone knows how to keep root on the new kitkat upgrade, please share.

MarcusWhite
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spapesh View Post
I am on a locked RAZR HD. If anyone knows how to keep root on the new kitkat upgrade, please share.
I'm in the same boat. But, since the leak is only a couple of days out, I'm 99.999% sure that there is only a handful of people that would know the solution. And since they are the ones who created this update in the first place, we will have to wait until our more c rafty comrades get lucky and crack it.

My advice is to hold what you have. Tap and pay is my only motivator to update. And when you boil it down, thats just a gimmick anyhow. Having root has more weight. I updated too soon once. Now I can't unlock.

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 487
There is no way. Not voodoo or superSU. Only unlocked boots should be taking the OTA!
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusWhite View Post
I'm in the same boat. But, since the leak is only a couple of days out, I'm 99.999% sure that there is only a handful of people that would know the solution. And since they are the ones who created this update in the first place, we will have to wait until our more c rafty comrades get lucky and crack it.

My advice is to hold what you have. Tap and pay is my only motivator to update. And when you boil it down, thats just a gimmick anyhow. Having root has more weight. I updated too soon once. Now I can't unlock.
Also, if you do happen to get root back for the locked bootloaders, the Sqlite tethering hack doesn't work anymore as well. They fixed that exploit with the KK update.

However, as long as you have root, there is another hack to make it work. I posted another thread on how to do this at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749659.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast
The Following User Says Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frankomali
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Cannot install even after removing SafeStrap and SuperSU

I have a Verizon Motorola RAZR MAXX HD running 9.18.94.XT926. I had rooted the phone, was using SafeStrap and SuperSU. I removed both but the OTA for KitKat still fails. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to frankomali For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankomali View Post
I have a Verizon Motorola RAZR MAXX HD running 9.18.94.XT926. I had rooted the phone, was using SafeStrap and SuperSU. I removed both but the OTA for KitKat still fails. Any ideas?
It's because the phone is still modified. You'll have to sbf back to a stock version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast
The Following User Says Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robdec17
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Any hope for those of us who are rooted , unlocked and currently running CM11?
---------------
CM11 on XT926 w/ Verizon

davekaz
Old
Thanks Meter 23
yes I reverted back to stock. worked fine but root is gone of course and whats weird is no developer options in settings to enable usb debugging?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

robdec17
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekaz View Post
yes I reverted back to stock. worked fine but root is gone of course and whats weird is no developer options in settings to enable usb debugging?

Ok I think Ill stick with CM11 for now. I prefer to keep root
---------------
CM11 on XT926 w/ Verizon

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekaz View Post

It's there. Go to Settings, then select "About Phone". Scroll down to "Build Number" and keep tapping on it. Eventually, it will tell you developer mode has been enabled.

This was the same under Jelly Bean.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast