Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,827 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto G damaged - needs board change.

Tip us?

narayanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Moto G damaged - needs board change.

Hello friends,

My Moto G 16 GB (XT-1033) (purchased in India on 6th Feb 2014) suffered a hardware problem. The phone had an exposure to water soon after its purchase. As a result the phone restarted and SIM1 wasn't working. After few hours, the SIM1 was working and phone resumed normal functions.

After nearly three months, the phone which was lying in the couch was vibrating. I wasn't aware for how long the phone was vibrating and when inspected there was no incoming call and the phone was running very low on battery. Thinking that this could be a software glitch, I attempted to restart the phone. The phone was still vibrating even after switching it off. Due to low battery, the phone wasn't starting at all. The continuous vibration depleted the remaining charge and eventually the vibration strength reduced and soon became dead.

When I tried to charge the phone the phone started to vibrate and the LED was glowing solid at the very moment I connected the charger. Both symptoms were off when I detached the charger immediately. I left the phone overnight to charge in this condition. In spite of overnight charge, the phone does not start. I tried the normal and safe mode start up options.

When I approached the authorised service centre, I was told that the phone has water damages and corrosion has occurred. Their only solution was to replace the whole circuit board which would cost roughly 80% of the cost of the new phone. They said firmly that water damages are not covered under warranty.

At this position, can any other suggest what best can be done at least expense to have my phone back?

My few options:
  1. Replace the circuit board
  2. Cannibalize the defective phone by selling its spares like display and digitizer, its battery, etc.
  3. Buy another damaged (other than circuit board) phone and swap the circuit board.
  4. Some other suggestion.

I am almost heartbroken for both loss of money as well as lack of phone. Any solutions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mucski
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
I have no idea how you managed that. I put my phone in the sink, and it's perfectly fine, nothing damaged on it. What on earth did you do with your phone then?

vNa5h
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Keep the mobile..Sell the parts after a year or two.. Meanwhile get another moto g or maybe a e

Sent from THE motog
Motorola Moto G a.k.a XT1033 a.k.a Falcon
Running Stock KK 4.4.2, Soundmagic PL11 earphones
Quote:
TV Shows / Movies .....I have watched....
Music
...I listen...
The Following User Says Thank You to vNa5h For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

narayanand
Old
(Last edited by narayanand; 15th May 2014 at 05:19 AM.) Reason: Added a URL for another post
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucski View Post
I have no idea how you managed that. I put my phone in the sink, and it's perfectly fine, nothing damaged on it. What on earth did you do with your phone then?
I just washed the phone under running water. By washing I opened the tap to allow water to flow slightly more than dripping and made the water to fall on the touch screen and took possible care to not to allow the water to go into any holes.

I had dealt in detail about what happened in another post.

I could have wiped the phone with slight damp cloth rather washing like this - but the words in Flipkart about the water repellent and the videos in YouTube about submerging the phone.

I still doubt this as water damage the actual problem occurred two months after the exposure! The justification what the service personnel gives is that the water damages are not troublesome immediately, but rather it takes time as corrosion spreads. But whether the actual cause is water damage or not, the service personnel might have used it as an excuse to avoid spending too much time in troubleshooting and passed the buck to me.

As far as I could open my phone and see for any corrosion, I could not spot any - I agree, I do not have magnifying glasses and I am not trained.

shivraj3192
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanand View Post
Hello friends,

My Moto G 16 GB (XT-1033) (purchased in India on 6th Feb 2014) suffered a hardware problem. The phone had an exposure to water soon after its purchase. As a result the phone restarted and SIM1 wasn't working. After few hours, the SIM1 was working and phone resumed normal functions.

After nearly three months, the phone which was lying in the couch was vibrating. I wasn't aware for how long the phone was vibrating and when inspected there was no incoming call and the phone was running very low on battery. Thinking that this could be a software glitch, I attempted to restart the phone. The phone was still vibrating even after switching it off. Due to low battery, the phone wasn't starting at all. The continuous vibration depleted the remaining charge and eventually the vibration strength reduced and soon became dead.

When I tried to charge the phone the phone started to vibrate and the LED was glowing solid at the very moment I connected the charger. Both symptoms were off when I detached the charger immediately. I left the phone overnight to charge in this condition. In spite of overnight charge, the phone does not start. I tried the normal and safe mode start up options.

When I approached the authorised service centre, I was told that the phone has water damages and corrosion has occurred. Their only solution was to replace the whole circuit board which would cost roughly 80% of the cost of the new phone. They said firmly that water damages are not covered under warranty.

At this position, can any other suggest what best can be done at least expense to have my phone back?

My few options:
  1. Replace the circuit board
  2. Cannibalize the defective phone by selling its spares like display and digitizer, its battery, etc.
  3. Buy another damaged (other than circuit board) phone and swap the circuit board.
  4. Some other suggestion.

I am almost heartbroken for both loss of money as well as lack of phone. Any solutions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Best thing is go to another service centre and tell them that your phone is not turning on. Don't tell about water and all they might charge you. Just tell them that it's not turning on.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Tags
circuit board, water damage