Constant "Preparing Network" notification on TW ROM -- my fix

OP wsgaskins

15th May 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

6 posts
I finally got around to rooting and installing the updated, Knox-free TouchWiz MK5 ROM on my Galaxy S3 (Virgin Mobile), but I hit a problem that some others have seen, including on this post and several others where the phone will not connect to 3G nor 4G wireless and it has a constant "Preparing Network" notification on the taskbar. Trying to run the activation on the phone fails, and when I tried to manually update the PRL or Profile, it just says "Session already in progress, please try again later".

Since I'm fairly new to the board, I couldn't post a reply or question in the DEV threads, but hopefully the solution I had to take will be helpful to others.

I started from a Knox-free MD7 build on my S3 and just followed the root and then MK5 ROM update directions... all of that went cleanly.

The fix was to * Update the Modem to MK5 * as well!

After updating the modem software to match the ROM, a quick reboot later and the activation worked now and, after a couple of minutes (and maybe another reboot or two) it updated the PRL and Profile and both 3G and 4G LTE were working again!

Looking back now, though, I realize that I got carried away with playing with the new ROM after Step 7 of @jdsingle76 's directions and I failed to follow Step 8...
The Following User Says Thank You to wsgaskins For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 2,825

2,742 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgaskins

I finally got around to rooting and installing the updated, Knox-free TouchWiz MK5 ROM on my Galaxy S3 (Virgin Mobile), but I hit a problem that some others have seen, including on this post and several others where the phone will not connect to 3G nor 4G wireless and it has a constant "Preparing Network" notification on the taskbar. Trying to run the activation on the phone fails, and when I tried to manually update the PRL or Profile, it just says "Session already in progress, please try again later".

Since I'm fairly new to the board, I couldn't post a reply or question in the DEV threads, but hopefully the solution I had to take will be helpful to others.

I started from a Knox-free MD7 build on my S3 and just followed the root and then MK5 ROM update directions... all of that went cleanly.

The fix was to * Update the Modem to MK5 * as well!

After updating the modem software to match the ROM, a quick reboot later and the activation worked now and, after a couple of minutes (and maybe another reboot or two) it updated the PRL and Profile and both 3G and 4G LTE were working again!

Looking back now, though, I realize that I got carried away with playing with the new ROM after Step 7 of @jdsingle76 's directions and I failed to follow Step 8...

So...were you able to get it fixed, or are you asking a question? Just want to make sure you got what you needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76

So...were you able to get it fixed, or are you asking a question? Just want to make sure you got what you needed.

My post started out as a question, but then as I was writing it and going back to link to some of the other questions and problems that people had reported, I ended up noticing the "Step 8 ... flash the MK5 modem" that I had overlooked in my zeal for playing with my new OS and getting all my apps restored.

So I ended up re-writing it a bit as -- here's how I fixed the constant "preparing network" -- since it wasn't originally apparent to me that this message & the fact that I couldn't activate meant that I did actually have problems with my 3G/4G data connection.

Thanks for your guide! (I may have another question about WiFi, but I'll post that as an actual question shortly...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsgaskins For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread