Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,069 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Call blocking with HTC One M8 ?

Tip us?

lostangelintx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Call blocking with HTC One M8 ?

I am coming from the LG G2. I love the build quality of the M8. So far, my only bitch is the ability, or lack thereof, to block phone calls.
On the G2, if I went to Settings>Call, there was a call reject setting there. It had a check box to block unavailable numbers, and I could add any number I wanted. I also could use what I called a wildcard to block calls.

For example, I could add 1-800. Then there was an option under that to choose beginning, end, etc.
I could just enter the 1-800 and then choose beginning. So all calls beginning with 1-800 would be blocked. Just add 1-800, 1-877, 1-866, etc and get all the stupid telemarketers who "somehow" got my number to be blocked.

Is the functionality missing on the HTC? I had thought that this was a function of KitKat Android.

Would be nice to have back.

brianray14
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangelintx View Post
I am coming from the LG G2. I love the build quality of the M8. So far, my only bitch is the ability, or lack thereof, to block phone calls.
On the G2, if I went to Settings>Call, there was a call reject setting there. It had a check box to block unavailable numbers, and I could add any number I wanted. I also could use what I called a wildcard to block calls.

For example, I could add 1-800. Then there was an option under that to choose beginning, end, etc.
I could just enter the 1-800 and then choose beginning. So all calls beginning with 1-800 would be blocked. Just add 1-800, 1-877, 1-866, etc and get all the stupid telemarketers who "somehow" got my number to be blocked.

Is the functionality missing on the HTC? I had thought that this was a function of KitKat Android.

Would be nice to have back.
I have yet to receive my M8, but in the past i've tested out about 20 call blocking apps and found extreme call blocker to be the best one as it blocks the call BEFORE it even hits the device. Also it has options out the wazoo. I know we're not supposed to talk about paid apps here but i've spent a long time testing all those different apps out and if it's not baked into the M8, it'll save you lots of time testing. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with extreme call blocker, just a long time, satisfied user
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
Gunmetal Silver HTC ONE M8 AT&T - UNLOCKED S-OFF
ROM : STOCK 4.4.2
Hboot : 3.16.0.0000
Radio : 1.16.21331931.LA11G
Recovery : TWRP Touch Recovery v2.7.0.2
Kernel : STOCK
MOD : Sense 6 Toolbox

ShoeSh1ne
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray14 View Post
I have yet to receive my M8, but in the past i've tested out about 20 call blocking apps and found extreme call blocker to be the best one as it blocks the call BEFORE it even hits the device. Also it has options out the wazoo. I know we're not supposed to talk about paid apps here but i've spent a long time testing all those different apps out and if it's not baked into the M8, it'll save you lots of time testing. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with extreme call blocker, just a long time, satisfied user
Might actually be a feature when you log into your AT&T account online.

canecbr600
Old
(Last edited by canecbr600; 15th May 2014 at 08:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Doesn't actually happen before it hits the device, cause if it did there would be no way for call blocker to interact with said incoming call. There is a delay from when call hits device, and actually rings. This is where it intercepts the call. I use Root Call Blocker Pro. Many options also. I have it set to kill the call immediately. It can be setup to send it directlyto voice mail. Let it ring once, kill ect. Also will log, and block texts same way.

brianray14
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecbr600 View Post
Doesn't actually happen before it hits the device, cause if it did there would be know way for call blocker to interact with said incoming call. There is a delay from when call hits device, and actually rings. This is where it intercepts the call. I use Root Call Blocker Pro. Many options also. I have it set to kill the call immediately. It can be setup to send it directlyto voice mail. Let it ring once, kill ect. Also will log, and block texts same way.
This is true but my phone never rings. It'll actually pick up for a sec and immediately disconnect without using a special ring tone designed to silence first ring. Not quite sure how root call blocker pro works as it may have come out after I discovered extreme call blocker. It also has the same features in that you can block calls and texts alike. Set it to go straight to vm, hang up no voicemail. I'll have to test root call blocker out to see what the similarities and differences are

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

canecbr600
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
This is true but my phone never rings. It'll actually pick up for a sec and immediately disconnect without using a special ring tone designed to silence first ring. Not quite sure how root call blocker pro works as it may have come out after I discovered extreme call blocker. It also has the same features in that you can block calls and texts alike. Set it to go straight to vm, hang up no voicemail. I'll have to test root call blocker out to see what the similarities and differences are

Exactly. Mine never rings either. Runs as a service, that's why it needs root. My screen never lights up, or anything. Nothing to let u know there was even a call except the log. It kills the call the milisecond it hits the phone, so it never hits the dialer/ringer whatever u wanna call it...
The Following User Says Thank You to canecbr600 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brianray14
Old
(Last edited by brianray14; 15th May 2014 at 08:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecbr600 View Post
Exactly. Mine never rings either. Runs as a service, that's why it needs root. My screen never lights up, or anything. Nothing to let u know there was even a call except the log. It kills the call the milisecond it hits the phone, so it never hits the dialer/ringer whatever u wanna call it...
That's awesome! I may just make the switch. Thanks for the heads up

Edit: it is worth noting for future readers that extreme call blocker doesn't require root. Just throwing that out there