FORUMS

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

Call blocking with HTC One M8 ?

95 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am coming from the LG G2. I love the build quality of the M8. So far, my only bitch is the ability, or lack thereof, to block phone calls.
On the G2, if I went to Settings>Call, there was a call reject setting there. It had a check box to block unavailable numbers, and I could add any number I wanted. I also could use what I called a wildcard to block calls.

For example, I could add 1-800. Then there was an option under that to choose beginning, end, etc.
I could just enter the 1-800 and then choose beginning. So all calls beginning with 1-800 would be blocked. Just add 1-800, 1-877, 1-866, etc and get all the stupid telemarketers who "somehow" got my number to be blocked.

Is the functionality missing on the HTC? I had thought that this was a function of KitKat Android.

Would be nice to have back.
 
 
13th May 2014, 06:20 PM |#2  
brianray14's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bradenton
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangelintx

I am coming from the LG G2. I love the build quality of the M8. So far, my only bitch is the ability, or lack thereof, to block phone calls.
On the G2, if I went to Settings>Call, there was a call reject setting there. It had a check box to block unavailable numbers, and I could add any number I wanted. I also could use what I called a wildcard to block calls.

For example, I could add 1-800. Then there was an option under that to choose beginning, end, etc.
I could just enter the 1-800 and then choose beginning. So all calls beginning with 1-800 would be blocked. Just add 1-800, 1-877, 1-866, etc and get all the stupid telemarketers who "somehow" got my number to be blocked.

Is the functionality missing on the HTC? I had thought that this was a function of KitKat Android.

Would be nice to have back.

I have yet to receive my M8, but in the past i've tested out about 20 call blocking apps and found extreme call blocker to be the best one as it blocks the call BEFORE it even hits the device. Also it has options out the wazoo. I know we're not supposed to talk about paid apps here but i've spent a long time testing all those different apps out and if it's not baked into the M8, it'll save you lots of time testing. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with extreme call blocker, just a long time, satisfied user
15th May 2014, 03:23 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray14

I have yet to receive my M8, but in the past i've tested out about 20 call blocking apps and found extreme call blocker to be the best one as it blocks the call BEFORE it even hits the device. Also it has options out the wazoo. I know we're not supposed to talk about paid apps here but i've spent a long time testing all those different apps out and if it's not baked into the M8, it'll save you lots of time testing. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with extreme call blocker, just a long time, satisfied user

Might actually be a feature when you log into your AT&T account online.
15th May 2014, 08:37 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray14

I have yet to receive my M8, but in the past i've tested out about 20 call blocking apps and found extreme call blocker to be the best one as it blocks the call BEFORE it even hits the device. Also it has options out the wazoo. I know we're not supposed to talk about paid apps here but i've spent a long time testing all those different apps out and if it's not baked into the M8, it'll save you lots of time testing. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with extreme call blocker, just a long time, satisfied user

Doesn't actually happen before it hits the device, cause if it did there would be no way for call blocker to interact with said incoming call. There is a delay from when call hits device, and actually rings. This is where it intercepts the call. I use Root Call Blocker Pro. Many options also. I have it set to kill the call immediately. It can be setup to send it directlyto voice mail. Let it ring once, kill ect. Also will log, and block texts same way.
Last edited by canecbr600; 15th May 2014 at 08:39 PM.
15th May 2014, 08:44 PM |#5  
brianray14's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bradenton
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecbr600

Doesn't actually happen before it hits the device, cause if it did there would be know way for call blocker to interact with said incoming call. There is a delay from when call hits device, and actually rings. This is where it intercepts the call. I use Root Call Blocker Pro. Many options also. I have it set to kill the call immediately. It can be setup to send it directlyto voice mail. Let it ring once, kill ect. Also will log, and block texts same way.

This is true but my phone never rings. It'll actually pick up for a sec and immediately disconnect without using a special ring tone designed to silence first ring. Not quite sure how root call blocker pro works as it may have come out after I discovered extreme call blocker. It also has the same features in that you can block calls and texts alike. Set it to go straight to vm, hang up no voicemail. I'll have to test root call blocker out to see what the similarities and differences are

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
15th May 2014, 08:48 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray14

This is true but my phone never rings. It'll actually pick up for a sec and immediately disconnect without using a special ring tone designed to silence first ring. Not quite sure how root call blocker pro works as it may have come out after I discovered extreme call blocker. It also has the same features in that you can block calls and texts alike. Set it to go straight to vm, hang up no voicemail. I'll have to test root call blocker out to see what the similarities and differences are

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Mine never rings either. Runs as a service, that's why it needs root. My screen never lights up, or anything. Nothing to let u know there was even a call except the log. It kills the call the milisecond it hits the phone, so it never hits the dialer/ringer whatever u wanna call it...
The Following User Says Thank You to canecbr600 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 08:49 PM |#7  
brianray14's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bradenton
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecbr600

Exactly. Mine never rings either. Runs as a service, that's why it needs root. My screen never lights up, or anything. Nothing to let u know there was even a call except the log. It kills the call the milisecond it hits the phone, so it never hits the dialer/ringer whatever u wanna call it...

That's awesome! I may just make the switch. Thanks for the heads up


Edit: it is worth noting for future readers that extreme call blocker doesn't require root. Just throwing that out there
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Last edited by brianray14; 15th May 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes