Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,820 Members 49,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [I9195] Backup all data from within Download/Odin mode?

Tip us?

Erinaceous
Old
(Last edited by Erinaceous; 15th May 2014 at 07:16 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] [I9195] Backup all data from within Download/Odin mode?

Got an S4 Mini, UK edition w/ LTE modem here. Never rooted, only official firmware updated OTA.

Started playing up a while back -- would get stuck in a weird bootloop for a while, where it would show the Galaxy S4 logo with coloured stripes all over it, or the screen wouldn't even come on at all, or it would vibrate continuously. Now it refuses to boot into normal/recovery mode whatsoever. I'm guessing it's a hardware thing. I've heard that leaving the wifi on whilst charging can cause these phones to overheat and eventually fry the insides?

Anyway, oddly enough I can get into download mode ('Odin mode') just fine, and it stays on there stably. I used Heimdall to get my PIT. Annoyingly, I have the "KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x1" message, which sucks because I definitely haven't done anything to void the warranty myself!

I can't see any way of doing so with Kies, Odin or Heimdall -- but is there a way of simply downloading EVERYTHING off my phone? Like, just a straight up dump of all of the partitions. Or at least the user data ones. I have a bunch of stuff on there (cryptocurrency wallets!! sentimental text messages!!) that I'd really like to backup. I know that if Samsung ever reply to my many service requests and fix my phone, they'll probably wipe it before sending it back / send a replacement.

tl;dr: Can I back up my S4 mini's data partitions from the download mode? Can use Linux or Windows tools.

Aronuser
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinaceous View Post
Got an S4 Mini, UK edition w/ LTE modem here. Never rooted, only official firmware updated OTA.

Started playing up a while back -- would get stuck in a weird bootloop for a while, where it would show the Galaxy S4 logo with coloured stripes all over it, or the screen wouldn't even come on at all, or it would vibrate continuously. Now it refuses to boot into normal/recovery mode whatsoever. I'm guessing it's a hardware thing. I've heard that leaving the wifi on whilst charging can cause these phones to overheat and eventually fry the insides?

Anyway, oddly enough I can get into download mode ('Odin mode') just fine, and it stays on there stably. I used Heimdall to get my PIT. Annoyingly, I have the "KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x1" message, which sucks because I definitely haven't done anything to void the warranty myself!

I can't see any way of doing so with Kies, Odin or Heimdall -- but is there a way of simply downloading EVERYTHING off my phone? Like, just a straight up dump of all of the partitions. Or at least the user data ones. I have a bunch of stuff on there (cryptocurrency wallets!! sentimental text messages!!) that I'd really like to backup. I know that if Samsung ever reply to my many service requests and fix my phone, they'll probably wipe it before sending it back / send a replacement.

tl;dr: Can I back up my S4 mini's data partitions from the download mode? Can use Linux or Windows tools.

I'd definitely try to return it back before doing too much with it!

Just tell them what happened!

About the data saving, i don't know. but i think it's possible! Odin also says a few things about dump in the programm...

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinaceous View Post

I found this on the web, maybe it helps: http://android.stackexchange.com/que...d-without-root
Please click the thanks button under my post if you considered my post useful! Thank you.

If you like to become a friend of me to discuss the S4 mini I9195, feel free to contact me!

Whosat
Old
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
If you can get into recovery mode you can use adb pull to retrieve files off mounted partitions
Galaxy Note 3 N9005 //
Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE/GT-I9195): Rooting FAQ | CM11 | CM10.2 | Link2SD
Latest GApps