Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updated OTA 4.4.2 - Lost root...now what?

Tip us?

HereToStay
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Updated OTA 4.4.2 - Lost root...now what?

Hi all, sorry if this question is a bit pre-mature given the update just came out. I was rooted prior to the update and had VooDoo OTA installed. Long story short, the update went horrible but I was able to recover to stock and receive the update again (which worked fine the second time).

In all of this, I did lose root and was wondering if there is a way to regain it now or do I need to wait for someone much smarter then me to figure this out? Ultimately, all I really need root for is wireless tether.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

paul1338
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereToStay View Post
Hi all, sorry if this question is a bit pre-mature given the update just came out. I was rooted prior to the update and had VooDoo OTA installed. Long story short, the update went horrible but I was able to recover to stock and receive the update again (which worked fine the second time).

In all of this, I did lose root and was wondering if there is a way to regain it now or do I need to wait for someone much smarter then me to figure this out? Ultimately, all I really need root for is wireless tether.

Is your bootloader unlocked? If so you can just flash root and it'll work.

CWM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2747535
SuperSU: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

smokie75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Is your bootloader unlocked?

Also, off topic and purely for personal reasons, which wireless tether do you use? I seemed to have issues making any work properly when I was rooted and running stock ROM.

HereToStay
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sadly, bootloader is locked.

For wireless tether, I was just using the stock tether but did the "entitlement check" change to use it. Need root to do it again.

Given that I have a locked bootloader does it mean I'm out of lock period or just until someone figures out how to get past it (assuming this happens).

paul1338
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Sadly, bootloader is locked.

For wireless tether, I was just using the stock tether but did the "entitlement check" change to use it. Need root to do it again.

Given that I have a locked bootloader does it mean I'm out of lock period or just until someone figures out how to get past it (assuming this happens).
As far as I know there isn't a way to root the latest OTA on a locked bootloader. So yes, it would seem you are out of luck.

kashif87
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just got OTAd. Alllllot faster n mature than JB.goodbye to weird visual n sound jitters.
Only problem is,

CANT LIVE WITHOUT ROOT

any ETA for that baby to come?

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

reyxlp
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1338 View Post
Is your bootloader unlocked? If so you can just flash root and it'll work.

CWM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2747535
SuperSU: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
Do you have a different source for the CWM file? When I follow the link to that page and click on the file to download it, it opens a new tab and displays as HTML/text rather than saving as .img downloaded file.

Please help - thanks!

smokie75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyxlp View Post
Do you have a different source for the CWM file? When I follow the link to that page and click on the file to download it, it opens a new tab and displays as HTML/text rather than saving as .img downloaded file.

Please help - thanks!
Right-click; Save As ?
The Following User Says Thank You to smokie75 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Murph28
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Can you install supersu from stock recovery? I have a unlocked bootloader.

smokie75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph28 View Post
Can you install supersu from stock recovery? I have a unlocked bootloader.
Ummmm.... No... You need CWM for that.