[Q] Knock On, or something like it

Search This thread

Subbywagon

Apr 26, 2014
Hello everyone. I am new to the rooting community so i am not sure if this is possible or what, let me explain. I own a Kindle Fire first gen with android 4.2.2. Its rooted now with CyanogenMod 10.1.3-otter. My plan is to use the kindle for the head unit for my car instead of a cd deck.

EDIT: (well i cant post a picture of my project because i dont have 11 posts)

So what i need now is a way to power on the device without using the button, like a double tap on the screen to wake it up. Any info on how i could do this would be helpful, even if its not possible. Any other suggestions would be nice as well

yattaro

Jun 27, 2013
Metairie
Well knock On is a kernel-reliant feature. You will need a ROM or kernel that supports it (none that I know of for the Kindle Fire exist). You could keep the Kindle connected to USB power and enable the option in Settings->Developer Settings->Stay Awake to consistently keep the screen on. Otherwise I would suggest something to make the power button easier to press (perhaps a lever of some kind). Disabling the lockscreen is also a good idea for this kind of project (go to Settings->Security->Lockscreen->None). I'm drawing a blank otherwise because I always use my Kindle as a normal tablet.

Sent from my ceiling fan using XDA Übermensch -5

Subbywagon

Apr 26, 2014
Well knock On is a kernel-reliant feature. You will need a ROM or kernel that supports it (none that I know of for the Kindle Fire exist). You could keep the Kindle connected to USB power and enable the option in Settings->Developer Settings->Stay Awake to consistently keep the screen on. Otherwise I would suggest something to make the power button easier to press (perhaps a lever of some kind). Disabling the lockscreen is also a good idea for this kind of project (go to Settings->Security->Lockscreen->None). I'm drawing a blank otherwise because I always use my Kindle as a normal tablet.

Sent from my ceiling fan using XDA Übermensch -5

I already have the lock screen off, not having the display turn off is really all i need so this helps a lot. The screen turns on when i start the car because of the charge then stays on. now i am using an app to shut off the screen. thanks tho, im just going to stop looking for knock on lol