FORUMS

Android 5.1 for the Nvidia Shield Tablet is Out!

Nvidia is quite good at delivering updates in a timely fashion. The producer of famous … more

Other than XDA (of Course), What’s Your Favorite Site That Covers Android?

There is a number of other great sites that cover … more

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] How do you upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 without erasing Data or Unrooting?

14th May 2014, 06:40 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?
 
 
14th May 2014, 06:53 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 843
 
More
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
14th May 2014, 07:04 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same
14th May 2014, 07:28 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 843
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobNWolf

That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same

the level of security and money spent to lock down phones really didn't give xda devs much of a chance.....the security of cellphones is #1 priority of enterprise customers who are largest segment of the market vs the phone modders.

people can still buy dev phones
16th May 2014, 03:14 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,551
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobNWolf

Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?

Yes, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660
16th May 2014, 03:44 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

Yes, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660

You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!
16th May 2014, 03:45 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,551
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobNWolf

You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!

Thats what she said.....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes