Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

[Q] How do you upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 without erasing Data or Unrooting?

OP JacobNWolf

14th May 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?
14th May 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 816

2,411 posts
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
14th May 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same
14th May 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #4  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 816

2,411 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobNWolf

That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same

the level of security and money spent to lock down phones really didn't give xda devs much of a chance.....the security of cellphones is #1 priority of enterprise customers who are largest segment of the market vs the phone modders.

people can still buy dev phones
16th May 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,459

1,025 posts
Quote:

Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?

Yes, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660
16th May 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Atlanta

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

Yes, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660

You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!
16th May 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,459

1,025 posts
Quote:

You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!

Thats what she said.....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread