Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,561 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do you upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 without erasing Data or Unrooting?

Tip us?

JacobNWolf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] How do you upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 without erasing Data or Unrooting?

Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

JacobNWolf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobNWolf View Post
That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same
the level of security and money spent to lock down phones really didn't give xda devs much of a chance.....the security of cellphones is #1 priority of enterprise customers who are largest segment of the market vs the phone modders.

people can still buy dev phones
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 981
Quote:
Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?
Yes, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660

JacobNWolf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 981
Quote:
You must be a candy because you're a lifesaver!
Thats what she said.....