Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 54,113 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting+S-off closed source?

Tip us?

Bhodi
Old
(Last edited by Bhodi; 15th May 2014 at 09:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Rooting+S-off closed source?

So I have an interesting dilemma and would like some feedback on this.

I would like to get S-off on my verizon M8 to be able to install Xprivacy or Cm11 once its been tested a little more. Obviously I do this for control of my information and privacy.

With the Verizon M8 the only way to get S-off that I'm aware of is using weaksause and firewater.

Both of these tool are closed source. I give the developers mad props for making these tools and helping out the community but for someone like my I really have an issue with running closed source tools that are getting that deep on my phone.

I'm not a fan of using closed source tools which is why I like Cm and Xprivacy but I can understand with the phone being so new why the developers would leave these tools closed source. However I also know that there could be other reasons too.

Would waiting for a potential open source option be worth it?

Thanks for any input.

Turd Furguson
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Not worth the wait. Jcase has been doing this stuff for over 4 years.

Posting the exploit as open source can burn potential exploits in the future.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Turd Furguson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Posting source for an exploit is like giving a police officer your plans for robbing a bank or a prison guard your map for your plan on escaping.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wtoj34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bhodi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the feedback.

I still think i'm going to hold out a little longer to see if there is a manual method that comes out but at least I know that the community supports the current methods.

eikast
Old
Thanks Meter 54
They receive money from donations, they have no intention of harming your phone or invading your privacy. As someone mentioned, it's closed source mainly to avoid getting the exploit patched. Plus the way I see it is that open source is good for large projects that require a lot of people to contribute, something that's sole purpose is to exploit a device doesn't need any further input once it's goal is achieved.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to eikast For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

netboy3
Old
(Last edited by netboy3; 16th May 2014 at 03:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
If you are still that concerned, After your'e done with S-off:

1. Flash the 1.55... OTA.
2. Fastboot flash custom recovery you build yourself from source.
3. (optional) Flash a ROM you build yourself from source.

This will get you a unit that has literally all segments either overwritten with OEM partitions or source built.
If you are downloading the OTA from XDA and are concerned about authenticity, run the OTA once before you S-off. If it was modified, its signature check will fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to netboy3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bhodi
Old
(Last edited by Bhodi; 16th May 2014 at 06:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I really appreciate the great feedback everyone!

Since TWRP is open source I really have no issue with the recovery but your advice provided me with the info I needed.

I never even thought about flashing OTA after s-off!