Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 41,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any previous LG G2 users in here?..

Tip us?

SysAdmNj
Old
(Last edited by SysAdmNj; 5th May 2014 at 06:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Default Any previous LG G2 users in here?..

If so, do you miss it? Can you get used to not having different led notifications? Was it really an upgrade? What about the htc on m8 camera, does it take better pics/lowlight? Battery life, seems htc's battery is smaller? I mean the LG G2 was ok as a daily driver.

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,982
I gave my G2 to my wife and bought the M8 for myself. I figured that if I decided within 2 weeks that I didn't like the M8, I could always get it back close to stock and return it (and get another G2 - or something else - for myself.)

To answer your questions:

No, I don't miss it completely - but I do miss some things: smaller size and "knock off" (M8 has knock on)

I haven't really noticed the difference in LED notifications, but I'm sure that it's something that can be worked around with a firmware and/or kernel mod.

I didn't consider it an upgrade.

For ME, the camera on the phone was only really ever a utility thing. I can still take pictures of stuff for reference (such as serial number labels, etc.)

Battery: The G2 battery is better than the M8 battery. There's no question about it. However, the M8 battery is still quite a bit better than a nexus5 battery.

Of course, that leaves the question of what is better about the M8: Better construction, MUCH louder built in speakers, HTC isn't trying to lock down the bootloader, sdcard (big deal for me and my 50GB of music), ability to easily convert to GPE.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hack14u
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I find myself constantly looking for the back buttons on my M8. I miss the knock features, the HTC Is way too sensitive, I turned it off. Camera, LG G2, blows it away. I used it on my trip to Disney and the pics looked awesome, maybe got lucky? Pure performance, HTC. And the ability to go back and forth between ROM's, RUU's and trick the phone was the main reason I sold the LG G2 and picked up the M8, missed my M7's so much I had to go back. Now, with all that said, I may seriously consider the G3, but I doubt I will sell the M8. Different phones for different occasions.
The Following User Says Thank You to hack14u For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Z51
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
If so, do you miss it? Can you get used to not having different led notifications? Was it really an upgrade? What about the htc on m8 camera, does it take better pics/lowlight? Battery life, seems htc's battery is smaller? I mean the LG G2 was ok as a daily driver.
I had a G2 and loved it. only gripe was the slow camera shutter response. it takes awesome pictures, the battery life was amazing.
I miss it a little but I LOVE this M8

I have no issues with it and its a SOLID device.
this phone even has the tap on tap off thing lol
go for it.

HTC One M8 (Gold)
Galaxy S5 (Gold)
OnePlus One (SandStone Black)

lostangelintx
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51 View Post
I had a G2 and loved it. only gripe was the slow camera shutter response. it takes awesome pictures, the battery life was amazing.
I miss it a little but I LOVE this M8

I have no issues with it and its a SOLID device.
this phone even has the tap on tap off thing lol
go for it.
I miss the ability to block calls. I could block all calls from a certain area code, block all unavailable caller id's, etc. Can't find this functionality on htc one m8.

bkeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangelintx View Post
I miss the ability to block calls. I could block all calls from a certain area code, block all unavailable caller id's, etc. Can't find this functionality on htc one m8.
launch your dialer then hit the menu (3 dots upper right) then select blocked contacts.....
HTC ONE M7 - Bootloder Unlocked / SIM Unlocked / S-OFF / SuperCID / Rooted FOR SALE
Nexus 5 - Bootloader Unlocked / Rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
LG G3 Has arrived!!! <-- Current Daily Driver
LG G2 D800 running CloudyPro2 + Dorimanx 6.2 Kernel

Please Hit the THANKS Button if I have helped..

TechSilver13
Old
Thanks Meter 309
I had a g2. It was great but the stock os is as ugly as touchwiz so I don't miss that at all. Knock on was cool but using the volume keys to turn the screen on is just as good imo. The g2 had a serious video bug. As in if you were taking video there was a bad waving effect that no one could fix. If the g3s os looks decent and can be rooted I'll go back to LG. If it looks like poo I will stick with the amazing m8. Nothing can touch the speakers which I use a lot when I'm listening to music at work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
- Motorolla e815 - LG VX-9800 - LG EnV VX-9900 - LG Voyager VX-10000 - BlackBerry 9700 Bold - iPhone 3G - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 4 - Samsung Infuse (i997) - Samsung GSII Skyrocket (I727) - Samsung GSII (i9100/i777) - Samsung GSIII (i747) - Samsung Note II (i317) - Samsung GSIV 32gb (i337) - LG G2 (LG-D800) - Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-940) - Galaxy Note 3 (N900A) - HTC One M8