Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is it possible to transfer apps from one Nexus 5 to another?

OP jvnanu

16th May 2014, 03:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
I had to RMA my Nexus 5 due to some display issues. I just got my new one today. I unlocked/rooted/flashed Omni and Franco and now I'm ready to start downloading all my apps. The problem is, I just noticed I've got 8GB of bandwidth left until Sunday and I need to hold onto that for Netflix etc. Is there any way to transfer all of my apps from my old Nexus 5 to my new one before I restock/relock and return? Worst case scenario is I wait until Monday. Or, I just download those really small apps that I use daily and wait until my bandwidth to roll over on Monday before downloading the rest. But if there's another way, I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!
16th May 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Metairie
Thanks Meter: 38

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
Make a backup in recovery, copy to computer, copy the backup to new phone, restore? After all it's identical hardware so it should be fine.

Sent from my ceiling fan using XDA ‹bermensch -5
16th May 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evol_201014

I think so

Sent from my GT-I9105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Awesome! I'll get right on it!
16th May 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yattaro

Make a backup in recovery, copy to computer, copy the backup to new phone, restore? After all it's identical hardware so it should be fine.

Would it be a problem that my old phone is running CM while my new one has Omni with Franco?
16th May 2014, 04:00 AM   |  #5  
Flag Metairie
Thanks Meter: 38

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnanu

Would it be a problem that my old phone is running CM while my new one has Omni with Franco?

As long as it is still the same version of Android it should be okay. To keep the ROM flash only /data and clear /cache and /dalvik-cache to avoid any errors. Worst case you just flash the entire backup, use Titanium to get any apps and such, and reflash Omni.

16th May 2014, 09:29 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yattaro

As long as it is still the same version of Android it should be okay. To keep the ROM flash only /data and clear /cache and /dalvik-cache to avoid any errors. Worst case you just flash the entire backup, use Titanium to get any apps and such, and reflash Omni.

I think using Titanium or Helium is much easier to use.
Also, don't forget your sms...
16th May 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #7  

4 posts
Yes you can backup the phone via ADB and restore in on the other one if its the same specs

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread