Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 44,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] When Flashing AOSP/AOKP/CM/PA Roms

Tip us?

pahlerc1
Old
(Last edited by pahlerc1; 13th May 2014 at 07:39 PM.) Reason: Added a question, more description
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Service [Q] When Flashing AOSP/AOKP/CM/PA Roms

Hey, sorry for such a noob question, I do lots of reading on here and tried to post within a certain rom, C-Rom Kit-Kat 4.4.2 5/13/14, and it won't allow me since I have never posted anything on XDA. I have the Verizon HTC ONE M8 and it is bootloader unlocked, s-off, and on the stock rom with build number 1.56, with lots of customization but I found a new rom I wanted to try. It is an AOSP rom like mentioned above but I never seemed to find what build number it is on? I know with a SENSE rom you have to be careful of what build number your phone is, whether it is 1.54 before the update or 1.56 after the update.

My question is, when flashing an AOSP/AOKP/CM rom through TWRP, does the build number matter? In all the AOSP roms I never haven't been able to find where the OP states which it is, making me wonder if I need to worry about it or not? I want to flash away from the stock rom but only to an AOSP type rom.. I want to be careful because since we don't have a removable battery, I am worried I will be stuck in bootloop and I am not sure how to get out of it without a battery pull.. (I know holding power and volume up will restart the phone but how would you get back into recovery to restore a backup?)

Also while I am at my first post, do you recommend TWRP, CWM, or Philz touch recovery? I would like to stick to one recovery throughout the tenure of the rooted ONE M8, makes keeping backups

Thanks for the help and I greatly appreciate it! And I apologize again for such a noob question..

Abe21599
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlerc1 View Post
Hey, sorry for such a noob question, I do lots of reading on here and tried to post within a certain rom, C-Rom Kit-Kat 4.4.2 5/13/14, and it won't allow me since I have never posted anything on XDA. I have the Verizon HTC ONE M8 and it is bootloader unlocked, s-off, and on the stock rom with build number 1.56, with lots of customization but I found a new rom I wanted to try. It is an AOSP rom like mentioned above but I never seemed to find what build number it is on? I know with a SENSE rom you have to be careful of what build number your phone is, whether it is 1.54 before the update or 1.56 after the update.

My question is, when flashing an AOSP/AOKP/CM rom through TWRP, does the build number matter? In all the AOSP roms I never haven't been able to find where the OP states which it is, making me wonder if I need to worry about it or not? I want to flash away from the stock rom but only to an AOSP type rom.. I want to be careful because since we don't have a removable battery, I am worried I will be stuck in bootloop and I am not sure how to get out of it without a battery pull.. (I know holding power and volume up will restart the phone but how would you get back into recovery to restore a backup?)

Also while I am at my first post, do you recommend TWRP, CWM, or Philz touch recovery? I would like to stick to one recovery throughout the tenure of the rooted ONE M8, makes keeping backups

Thanks for the help and I greatly appreciate it! And I apologize again for such a noob question..
Correct me if im wrong, but the sense build is just telling what that ROM is based on. Once your S-OFF, you can flash them as you please. I know the bootloader version was what would cause bricks in the past (flashing a 4.2.2 rom in a 4.3 bootloader) but i havent seen anything like that for the M8 yet.

Vol DOwn and power will get you to hboot which will let you get to recovery. I use CWM but theyre all comparable, just personal preference.

pahlerc1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but the sense build is just telling what that ROM is based on. Once your S-OFF, you can flash them as you please. I know the bootloader version was what would cause bricks in the past (flashing a 4.2.2 rom in a 4.3 bootloader) but i havent seen anything like that for the M8 yet.

Vol DOwn and power will get you to hboot which will let you get to recovery. I use CWM but theyre all comparable, just personal preference.
Thanks for the reply! I can't wait to flash this new AOSP rom so I can remove all the bloatware put on by Verizon and Sense.. Just want to vierfy, so if the build number no longer matters since I am s-off, you're saying I can flash the ARHD rom on my phone even though it states the build number 1.54 and I have 1.56? Because I would also love to have a stock sense rom with lots of optimizations and tweaks for performance with less bloatware.

Thanks again

pahlerc1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I can't wait to flash this new AOSP rom so I can remove all the bloatware put on by Verizon and Sense.. Just want to vierfy, so if the build number no longer matters since I am s-off, you're saying I can flash the ARHD rom on my phone even though it states the build number 1.54 and I have 1.56? Because I would also love to have a stock sense rom with lots of optimizations and tweaks for performance with less bloatware.

Thanks again
I just read that if you have the newest 1.55.6.. firmware and baseband and try to flash roms with the older baseband (1.54) then you might run into problems with losing root and and other issues..

Can someone please verify this? Currently on stock rom, rooted, s off, bootloader unlocked, with baseband 1.55.6.. Looking into flashing either AOSP rom or Sense rom but does it matter if its based on 1.54 or the newest 1.56?

Thanks, the help is greatly appreciated

Abe21599
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
I just read that if you have the newest 1.55.6.. firmware and baseband and try to flash roms with the older baseband (1.54) then you might run into problems with losing root and and other issues..

Can someone please verify this? Currently on stock rom, rooted, s off, bootloader unlocked, with baseband 1.55.6.. Looking into flashing either AOSP rom or Sense rom but does it matter if its based on 1.54 or the newest 1.56?

Thanks, the help is greatly appreciated
you're just gonna end up with whatever baseband you flash as the latest baseband. where are you seeing people lose root bc of flashing a different baseband?

pahlerc1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
you're just gonna end up with whatever baseband you flash as the latest baseband. where are you seeing people lose root bc of flashing a different baseband?
It was in a different thread, can't recall which.. I have been doing way too much reading I think it was in one last few pages of the venom rom thread.. I'll just wait for Venom and Skyfall to update their baseband to the latest 1.56 build. No worries. Thanks.

ebb
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Updated to the latest VZW firmware, and have had no issues using the multi-variant roms, which use the non-Verizon versions. My radio base still reflects the updated version (0321). On Viper right now with no issues, waiting for AOKP. Been using 2.7.0.2 TWRP with no problems. If you have a concern about flashing any ROM (and/or gapps if you are trying an AOSP ROM), just make sure you make a backup in recovery before anything else, and if the new stuff doesn't work well or borks your device, just learn how to get back into recovery and restore your backup. Read first, try second.

pahlerc1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
Updated to the latest VZW firmware, and have had no issues using the multi-variant roms, which use the non-Verizon versions. My radio base still reflects the updated version (0321). On Viper right now with no issues, waiting for AOKP. Been using 2.7.0.2 TWRP with no problems. If you have a concern about flashing any ROM (and/or gapps if you are trying an AOSP ROM), just make sure you make a backup in recovery before anything else, and if the new stuff doesn't work well or borks your device, just learn how to get back into recovery and restore your backup. Read first, try second.
Okay thanks for the help. I always make sure to read first and create a backup, I've made the mistake once and took a long process to get it solved and won't let that happen again that's for sure! Thanks for the response, I just flashed Skyfall 2.5 and it is amazing!