Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 53,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will S-off void warranty?

Tip us?

BenPope
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdaleson View Post
People think that unlocking phone in unauthorized way (S-Off) will be better for warranty rather than using htcdev, how is that?
With s-off you can go from unlocked back to locked (vs relocked). I.e., you can fully revert the unlock and thus hide that it was ever unlocked.

HtcOneJon
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I'm sorry but as I do with all these misconceptions I have to chime in here. Rooting, S-offing and installing custom roms cannot void a warranty as the warranty on an electrical item covers the hardware for faults, when not caused by human error.

If I install a custom ROM on a phone, and then the screen stops working, which has happened to me countless times in the past, I will simply send it to HTC and they repair it.

HTC, Carphonewarehouse, Orange, and Phones4u in the UK have never refused me a repair on a phone or indeed a replacement due to s-off or a custom ROM,

I traded in my old M7 with Venom rom on, S-off in phones4u, to get my M8 and they didn't even flinch at that either.

I am not saying anything beyond, most people asking this will s-off anyway, and if you really are scared of losing your warranty, you'll also find a way of getting it back to s-on and locked too.