Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,451 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My Verizon Mobile App just asked for superuser permission

Tip us?

Ratmak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yyyyyyep. I also allowed that by accident. I noticed it was asking for permission to run ls, so I appreciate seeing the alleged code behind that. I'll definitely go revoke those permissions, and hopefully I'll be able to post back here before the VZW goons kidnap me and bring me in for blending.

Bastards.

ColtonDRG
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default Me too!

I got a request for Superuser for My Verizon Mobile on my Motorola XT875 running CyanogenMod 11. I updated the app earlier today via Play Store and it didn't ask... I updated to the latest nightly when I got home, then started messing with some ROM stuff, I ended up breaking something and having to rollback to yesterday's nightly. As soon as the phone booted back up from flashing, I started working my way back to settings so that I could re-update That's when I got the Superuser request. I denied it of course... I am worried at what Verizon could be doing with this... Maybe they are planning to quietly wipe the su binary... That would actually make sense, anyone who doesn't have a Superuser app wouldn't get a notification so Verizon might want to un-root their phone for security reasons... Either way, I don't like whatever VZW is up to... I will be adding Verizon to my DENY list.

verizonguy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm running a custom rom and got a superuser request from the my verizon mobile app when I wasn't even using the app. I had installed the app to pay my bill while out and about.

What pisses me off about the app is that it hooks into your dialer and if you try to call customer service it launches a self help thing instead of making the phone call. I now just install/uninstall it when I want to pay my bill on the go.

Xproplayer
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Seeing as how I work for verizon wireless tech support and I already did a write up on this and most people in the thread haven't been answered. Here is my previous answer, feel free to ask more.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ruser_request/

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdorrett View Post
Mine did the same thing. Granted SU permision. The way I see it is I payed full retail off contract and do not carry warrantee so it don't matter lol

Galaxy Note 3 Stock Rooted Xposed
Galaxy Gear Rooted Null Rom
Suck It Nerds!
I work for Verizon Wireless technical support, if you pay off the device full retail it still carries a 1 year MFG warranty for a replaement over the phone, also if you have extended warranty, total equipment coverage, or total mobile protection the extended warranty is still valid all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xproplayer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]