Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,205 Members 39,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] System set to read only, how do I change it?

Tip us?

Portalception
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] System set to read only, how do I change it?

Ok so I have a problem, I would think most users have this too: The max volume level being too low. So I went ahead to search google for help, and downloaded "Ultra volume mod" now what I'm supposed to do is to overwrite the "default_gain.config" but when I do, it says permission denied. So I tried another method, manually editing the code. Now it justs says that an error occured when I try to save it. I did a little digging on the internet, and found out that my system is apparently read-only, how do I change that? Oh yeah, I'm currently using ES File Explorer, most people said theres a button to mount something but I can't find the button, maybe thats the fix to it? I have the latest updated version of the root explorer and I still cant find the mount button.
Well, while you're here can you help me with another one? On game hacking apps such as GameCIH or GameGuardian, either right after I grant root permission, it says "error: root denied" or it says nothing and when I try to change the code, nothing happens. Thanks for helping.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-17005
Root: Yes
Any other info thats needed? Please say so, I will do my best to provide them. And please don't post complicated stuff, the most I can do is read simple codes and edit them, such as the volume one. I cant decode, read complex codes or create codes, if theres anything complicated, please try your best to explain how to do it. Thank you in advance for your help.

singhpratik87
Old
Thanks Meter 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalception View Post
Ok so I have a problem, I would think most users have this too: The max volume level being too low. So I went ahead to search google for help, and downloaded "Ultra volume mod" now what I'm supposed to do is to overwrite the "default_gain.config" but when I do, it says permission denied. So I tried another method, manually editing the code. Now it justs says that an error occured when I try to save it. I did a little digging on the internet, and found out that my system is apparently read-only, how do I change that? Oh yeah, I'm currently using ES File Explorer, most people said theres a button to mount something but I can't find the button, maybe thats the fix to it? I have the latest updated version of the root explorer and I still cant find the mount button.
Well, while you're here can you help me with another one? On game hacking apps such as GameCIH or GameGuardian, either right after I grant root permission, it says "error: root denied" or it says nothing and when I try to change the code, nothing happens. Thanks for helping.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-17005
Root: Yes
Any other info thats needed? Please say so, I will do my best to provide them. And please don't post complicated stuff, the most I can do is read simple codes and edit them, such as the volume one. I cant decode, read complex codes or create codes, if theres anything complicated, please try your best to explain how to do it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Open ES file explorer hit menu button ,scroll down, check mark root explorer ,slider will turn blue,then click extreme left of root explorer you'll get a pop up with few options,click on Mount R/W then another pop up comes up and you'll see RO and RW columns,and 4 rows of options.Select the RW column for each of the row options.That would mount your system to read and write files just like you are doing right now.Once you change your default_gain.conf it will ask you to replace it with existing one (you should make a back up of your original one on the sd card) then replace it,long press on the new file click on MORE at the bottom right then Properties then you'll see permissions as RWX-RWX-RWX- and Change next to it.click on change and you'll see 3 rows and 3 columns make it read as RW-R-R basically selecting first 2 columns for first option and only the first option for 2nd and 3rd row.Click ok,exit the es file explorer and reboot your phone. I am attaching images below so you can get visual help as well (my options differ a bit under es file explorer since im not running TW ROM but concept is same

Note: Root is must (I see you've mentioned you are rooted)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82156 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	2747071   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82230 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	2747072   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82353 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	2747073   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82418 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	2747074   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82439 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2747075  

Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82502 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2747076   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 16, 2014 82526 PM GMT+0530.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2747077  
The Following User Says Thank You to singhpratik87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Portalception
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you so much for the help, it worked perfectly, now my volume is just as its supposed to be. Thank you for your help, now i just need someone to answer my second question.

EmptyArea
Old
Thanks Meter 261
2nd one sounds like an app issue now you have confirmed it's not a root issue. Probably don't work on 4.3. Think I remember seeing groans from game cheaters about apps not being supported.
If you haven't read prepare to be ignored, or worse.

Portalception
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oh okay... well, i tried out the mod, forgot that 1db more is 3 times a loud as the bd before. Almost busted my cheapass earphones. Also the static noise you hear in idk, clash of clans during start up increased by at least 5 times. Switching back, luckily i took your advice on making a backup.Thanks guys, really helped me. In the shortest time of any other forum too.

singhpratik87
Old
Thanks Meter 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalception View Post
Oh okay... well, i tried out the mod, forgot that 1db more is 3 times a loud as the bd before. Almost busted my cheapass earphones. Also the static noise you hear in idk, clash of clans during start up increased by at least 5 times. Switching back, luckily i took your advice on making a backup.Thanks guys, really helped me. In the shortest time of any other forum too.
Ya many of us eat , breathe and sleep on xda and love to help out people cause we were also once in your shoes so I know how it feels when something doesn't work right ,the anxiety levels sky rocket at once and panick sets in.

Edit: You might want to quote people when responding to someone in particular so he/she gets notified otherwise they might not check back on the thread and your future questions might be left unanswered.Just a suggestion
The Following User Says Thank You to singhpratik87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Portalception
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well if its just thanks i think they would like it if they didnt get spammed on email. Anyway i fixed the static problem, seems like the old speakerboost app i tried but did not delete was jealous of the mod, uninstalled and mod works like a charm.