Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 39,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Opinion/Suggestion on upgrading modem and baseband on AT&T S4

Tip us?

sway8966
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] Opinion/Suggestion on upgrading modem and baseband on AT&T S4

Dear All,
A year ago, I bought the AT&T S4 SGH-I337. The android version was 4.2.2. Before I activated the phone, I rooted with motor chopper. The phone came with MDL baseband and modem. Before the MF3 OTA, I flashed the Clear Rom 1.0. Later I upgrade it to Clear Rom 1.5. The phone stays at MDL.

A year later, I want to upgrade to Kit kat so I flashed Golden Eye 29. Wifi and phone works fine. Except the occasional application freezed up in some app the phone was fine.

Today, I flashed Golden Eye 30. My baseband and modem still at MDL.

My question being... Should I upgrade my baseband and modem to the new version or just stay at MDL.
If I should upgrade my baseband and modem which version do you suggest?
Thanks in advanced,
Andrew

AxlxA
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Stay on AMF. It's the only one where you can install loki and flash any roms to your hearts content! Otherwise you won't be able to install non TouchWiz roms.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 16gb on AT&T
MDL - TWRP 2.5.0.2
Rom: Goldeneye 32.1 (NE5 - 4.4.2)
Kernel: KT Kernel 5.14.2014
Launcher: Apex

Greenify, Lux Autobrightness, Testing various KTweaker profiles.
The Following User Says Thank You to AxlxA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sway8966 View Post
Dear All,
A year ago, I bought the AT&T S4 SGH-I337. The android version was 4.2.2. Before I activated the phone, I rooted with motor chopper. The phone came with MDL baseband and modem. Before the MF3 OTA, I flashed the Clear Rom 1.0. Later I upgrade it to Clear Rom 1.5. The phone stays at MDL.

A year later, I want to upgrade to Kit kat so I flashed Golden Eye 29. Wifi and phone works fine. Except the occasional application freezed up in some app the phone was fine.

Today, I flashed Golden Eye 30. My baseband and modem still at MDL.

My question being... Should I upgrade my baseband and modem to the new version or just stay at MDL.
If I should upgrade my baseband and modem which version do you suggest?
Thanks in advanced,
Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlxA View Post
Stay on AMF. It's the only one where you can install loki and flash any roms to your hearts content! Otherwise you won't be able to install non TouchWiz roms.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Updating the modem alone using the recovery flashable zips won't upgrade the bootloader, so that's not an issue. Just don't try to use ODIN packages to do it. You can experiment and see which modem works best. The thread for them is in the general section.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running BlackBox 3.0
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]