Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck in boot loop... Which stock firmware should I use?

Tip us?

tys0n
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffectiveEffect View Post
Now whenever I boot in cwm it asks me if I want to install an untrusted package... some sort of update.zip... Should I be booting into cwm after flashing the stock firmware and wiping anything? I was under the impression it would simply reboot and my phone would work if all went well. I'm just unsure about all of the steps.
Flash stock recovery before you flash firmware in Odin. Otherwise the CSC zip will fail.

Sent through time and space from my s3mini/CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to tys0n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AffectiveEffect
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys0n View Post
Flash stock recovery before you flash firmware in Odin. Otherwise the CSC zip will fail.

Okay... Downloading it now! Should I use the same PDA tab in Odin?

tys0n
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1217
Quote:
Okay... Downloading it now! Should I use the same PDA tab in Odin?
Yes put it in PDA.

AffectiveEffect
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Everything looks good on Odin until I go to reboot... CWM is still the recovery. I remember having a hell of a time flashing CWM... It kept booting to stock recovery and then, one time, it worked. I've tried over and over to get it back to stock recovery but it's not happening.

I'll keep trying, though. What is this PIT thing? I hear it's a last resort... I'm starting to think it may be my only option unless you good people have any more ideas.

I appreciate it, guys!

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Everything looks good on Odin until I go to reboot... CWM is still the recovery. I remember having a hell of a time flashing CWM... It kept booting to stock recovery and then, one time, it worked. I've tried over and over to get it back to stock recovery but it's not happening.

I'll keep trying, though. What is this PIT thing? I hear it's a last resort... I'm starting to think it may be my only option unless you good people have any more ideas.

I appreciate it, guys!
It means you are still able to access the recovery? If yes then install a other ROM from external SD card. I think this will help you : remove your external SD card (if you have one) put it in a other phone or some else download an other ROM, move it to your external SD card, put the SD card back to your s3 mini and install it via CWM under the section "install ZIP from external sd".

Do a nandroid backup before and don't forget to wipe factory data and cache

AffectiveEffect
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXPR0T0TYPEXx View Post
It means you are still able to access the recovery? If yes then install a other ROM from external SD card. I think this will help you : remove your external SD card (if you have one) put it in a other phone or some else download an other ROM, move it to your external SD card, put the SD card back to your s3 mini and install it via CWM under the section "install ZIP from external sd".

Do a nandroid backup before and don't forget to wipe factory data and cache
Yep... I can get into CWM just fine. And yes, I have an external SD card. I'll try it out and check back. Thanks, xXPR0T0TYPEXx!

tys0n
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1217
Quote:
Yep... I can get into CWM just fine. And yes, I have an external SD card. I'll try it out and check back. Thanks, xXPR0T0TYPEXx!
Havet you tried to flash stock recovery thru cwm?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

What version of Odin do you use?

AffectiveEffect
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

No, I've been trying to flash stock recovery through Odin.... You can do it through CWM? And I have 3.07 and 3.09... I've tried them both.

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Good and don't forget if you flash a new ROM and wiped factory and cache then do the first boot take often 5-10mins or longer.

AffectiveEffect
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Never mind... I know what you mean. But that's how I ran into this boot loop, initially... I tried to flash dmodv6 via CWM. Everything was successful it said, but it caused the boot loop.