Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,599 Members 38,590 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does Google spy on android?

Tip us?

maxster95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Does Google spy on android?

I was wondering if Google was like spying on me on my phone. I have the Google apps that came with my phone (that I don't use) I wanted to know if they could track me with those apps and spy on me and if I should get rid of them. All answers are appropriated thanks!

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Free mobile app

FoodAlmighty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxster95 View Post
I was wondering if Google was like spying on me on my phone. I have the Google apps that came with my phone (that I don't use) I wanted to know if they could track me with those apps and spy on me and if I should get rid of them. All answers are appropriated thanks!

Google collects user information everywhere, your phone is not excluded.

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

like FoodAlmighty said they do collect information, i dont think they can see your texts and phone logs, they are able to read your mail on gmail as well. if google were to want to spy on you, what would they do to you? what would they ever want with everyone's information?
Google's motto "Don't be evil".
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat 4.4.4 XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113

Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.4) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations?
Both Stopped turning on for no reason
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)

maxster95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
But can I prevent any of that by uninstalling Google apps well I know I can't full prevent it but can I do anything to lesson the chances? I'm not doing anything I don't want anyone to see but it's just privacy invasion you know?

george brown
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
But can I prevent any of that by uninstalling Google apps well I know I can't full prevent it but can I do anything to lesson the chances? I'm not doing anything I don't want anyone to see but it's just privacy invasion you know?

No, you can't prevent it. If they want to, they can collect any data they want from your phone.

The only way to keep your privacy is not using any device that can be connected to the internet.

Sent using Tapatalk

maxster95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Alright thanks

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Alright thanks

if there is one, you could probably get a new OS on the device, like firefox OS or ubuntu, but really its nothing to worry about, im sure if google where to do something nasty it would be in the future when they own almost everything xD
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat 4.4.4 XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113

Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.4) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations?
Both Stopped turning on for no reason
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trozzul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxster95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Lol true true

CaptSwivelchair
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Google spies

Google "spies" on everyone who uses any Google service, and likely any Google product; that's exactly their business model. They sell ad targeting based on your Internet behavior, and a big part of their marketing advantage is that they own a lot of different sites that coordinate their records of your behavior.

The real question is how much to trust them to anonymize things, assuming that the information they gather and collate about you---your likely demographic properties (age, race, sex, occupation, geograhic region of residence, sexual orientation, political leanings, health issues, etc.)---is not in some way passed on to advertisers---or implicitly to people who monitor what ads you're served, without Google having to cooperate.

Don't expect actual privacy on the Internet. Assume that there are data miners out there who notice what ads you are served, and what that indirectly reveals about you, even if Google is not just handing over explicit information about you to the US government in response to secret FISA court orders. Assume that spies know more about you than your spouse does---who you've called at what hours, who you've chatted with, what you've discussed, etc.

Never answer a question on the Internet truthfully, or consistently. "Polls" on websites are mainly a way of targeting you, and selling information about you to advertisers, or to anyone who'll pay for that information, e.g., spy agencies. If you're a conservative, answer liberally half the time, and vice versa. Don't give your real age, or give your real sex more than half the time. Make them work for information about you, and make sure their data sets are full of noise.

Of course, if you do these things---e.g., being inconsistent in answers about your age and sex---that will set off alarms and draw scrutiny.

Welcome to the Kafkaesque 21st century.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptSwivelchair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]