Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 40,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Knock On, or something like it

Tip us?

Subbywagon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Knock On, or something like it

Hello everyone. I am new to the rooting community so i am not sure if this is possible or what, let me explain. I own a Kindle Fire first gen with android 4.2.2. Its rooted now with CyanogenMod 10.1.3-otter. My plan is to use the kindle for the head unit for my car instead of a cd deck.

EDIT: (well i cant post a picture of my project because i dont have 11 posts)

So what i need now is a way to power on the device without using the button, like a double tap on the screen to wake it up. Any info on how i could do this would be helpful, even if its not possible. Any other suggestions would be nice as well

yattaro
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Well knock On is a kernel-reliant feature. You will need a ROM or kernel that supports it (none that I know of for the Kindle Fire exist). You could keep the Kindle connected to USB power and enable the option in Settings->Developer Settings->Stay Awake to consistently keep the screen on. Otherwise I would suggest something to make the power button easier to press (perhaps a lever of some kind). Disabling the lockscreen is also a good idea for this kind of project (go to Settings->Security->Lockscreen->None). I'm drawing a blank otherwise because I always use my Kindle as a normal tablet.

Sent from my ceiling fan using XDA Übermensch -5
Devices:
HTC Vivid (AT&T; running Resurrection Remix KK)
Kindle Fire First Generation (running OtterX bootloader & Nightly CM11 builds by Hashcode)
HTC EVO 4G (Sprint; running CM7 official build)
LG Optimus F3 (T-Mobile; running stock rooted 4.1.2)
iPhone 4S (blah; Sprint; running jailbroken iOS 7.0.2)
Nook Simple Touch (two of em; one is rooted and the other is not; B&N OS 1.2.1/Android 2.1)

Subbywagon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yattaro View Post
Well knock On is a kernel-reliant feature. You will need a ROM or kernel that supports it (none that I know of for the Kindle Fire exist). You could keep the Kindle connected to USB power and enable the option in Settings->Developer Settings->Stay Awake to consistently keep the screen on. Otherwise I would suggest something to make the power button easier to press (perhaps a lever of some kind). Disabling the lockscreen is also a good idea for this kind of project (go to Settings->Security->Lockscreen->None). I'm drawing a blank otherwise because I always use my Kindle as a normal tablet.

Sent from my ceiling fan using XDA Übermensch -5
I already have the lock screen off, not having the display turn off is really all i need so this helps a lot. The screen turns on when i start the car because of the charge then stays on. now i am using an app to shut off the screen. thanks tho, im just going to stop looking for knock on lol