Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,244 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone's In Trouble, wondering if it's still fixable?

Tip us?

TheRedFlash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Phone's In Trouble, wondering if it's still fixable?

To cut the story short, my EVO was working fine, it was S-off, Rooted, Unlocked with a custom rom. Two nights ago i decide to upgrade my HBOOT to 2.10 using RUU_JEWEL_CL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Sprint_WWE_4.13.651.4 and everything went downhill from there.

This is my current situation and wondering if it's still fixable:

Phone is RELOCKED,Unrooted but S-off. Stuck in a bootloop where it stays on the Splash screen no matter what rom you install. FastBoot commands give me FAILED (remote : not allowed), tried re-using RUU but I keep getting Error 120: BATTERY under 30% while my phone battery is at 84%, I'm stuck and don't know what to do anymore.

and yes, I can still use recovery TWRP.

Any suggestions? Please and thanks for the help.

gstanke
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedFlash View Post
To cut the story short, my EVO was working fine, it was S-off, Rooted, Unlocked with a custom rom. Two nights ago i decide to upgrade my HBOOT to 2.10 using RUU_JEWEL_CL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Sprint_WWE_4.13.651.4 and everything went downhill from there.

This is my current situation and wondering if it's still fixable:

Phone is RELOCKED,Unrooted but S-off. Stuck in a bootloop where it stays on the Splash screen no matter what rom you install. FastBoot commands give me FAILED (remote : not allowed), tried re-using RUU but I keep getting Error 120: BATTERY under 30% while my phone battery is at 84%, I'm stuck and don't know what to do anymore.

and yes, I can still use recovery TWRP.

Any suggestions? Please and thanks for the help.
Are you installing roms for the new layout

Sent from my EVO using XDA Free mobile app

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
(Last edited by Magnum_Enforcer; 16th May 2014 at 01:52 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1822

DONATE TO ME
Also, did you unlock the bootloader again? Do this before you do anything else. Also, as stated above, make sure you're flashing ROM's based on the new format. ROM's based on the old partition format (software version 3.17 or older) will not work. Additionally, what version of TWRP are you using? You have to use TWRP that's for the new format, also.

Sent from my HTC device

TheRedFlash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanke View Post
Are you installing roms for the new layout
Yea and I updated the HBOOT because people usually say that updating is for the better for call qualities and signal retrieval.

TheRedFlash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer View Post
Also, did you unlock the bootloader again? Do this before you do anything else. Also, as stated above, make sure you're flashing ROM's based on the new format. ROM's based on the old partition format (software version 3.17 or older) will not work. Additionally, what version of TWRP are you using? You have to use TWRP that's for the new format, also.
No, I haven't attempted to unlock it again, but will do so now. Also, these are the two roms that i have tried and both didn't work Viper4G 4.0.0 and the Sense 5 (4.3) Y18 Version. They are both made for the new partition. Well i started with TWRP 2.7.0.0b but then downgraded it to 2.6.0.0 since i thought maybe the TWRP is failing to install my ROM's correctly.

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1822

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
No, I haven't attempted to unlock it again, but will do so now. Also, these are the two roms that i have tried and both didn't work Viper4G 4.0.0 and the Sense 5 (4.3) Y18 Version. They are both made for the new partition. Well i started with TWRP 2.7.0.0b but then downgraded it to 2.6.0.0 since i thought maybe the TWRP is failing to install my ROM's correctly.
Use TWRP from the 3rd post in the thread below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751873

Sent from my HTC device
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheRedFlash
Old
(Last edited by TheRedFlash; 16th May 2014 at 04:35 AM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer View Post
Use TWRP from the 3rd post in the thread below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751873
So far so good, I was able to unlock bootloader again and flashed the recovery you gave me. Should I flash a ROM now to see if it worked?

*Tip for those who can't get bootloader to re-unlock again through Fastboot. Put the Unlock_code.bin in the same directory as Fastboot and just use the command fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin*

UPDATE:

Tried flashing a ROM, everything goes well but at the end of installation or wipe I get E: unable to mount /system and I cannot mount manually neither through recovery. I am also noticing that when the phone restarts it stays on the splash screen still but my HTCSyn Manager seems to be detecting it because it pops up mentioning that it couldn't connect to my phone.

RChris173
Old
(Last edited by RChris173; 16th May 2014 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
So far so good, I was able to unlock bootloader again and flashed the recovery you gave me. Should I flash a ROM now to see if it worked?

*Tip for those who can't get bootloader to re-unlock again through Fastboot. Put the Unlock_code.bin in the same directory as Fastboot and just use the command fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin*

UPDATE:

Tried flashing a ROM, everything goes well but at the end of installation or wipe I get E: unable to mount /system and I cannot mount manually neither through recovery. I am also noticing that when the phone restarts it stays on the splash screen still but my HTCSyn Manager seems to be detecting it because it pops up mentioning that it couldn't connect to my phone.
I got that error too, it sounds like you are not using the correct version of TWRP for the new partition layout.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639180

TWRP Recovery 2.7.0.8b or 4.13.651.4 Firmware + TWRP Recovery

Should work.
The Following User Says Thank You to RChris173 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheRedFlash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChris173 View Post
I got that error too, it sounds like you are not using the correct version of TWRP for the new partition layout.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639180

TWRP Recovery 2.7.0.8b or 4.13.651.4 Firmware + TWRP Recovery

Should work.
Chris, I got it working this morning, by coincidence/luck. I put my phone in RUU mode using fastboot oem rebootRUU and then ran the actually RUU utility and from there on it took off. Either way, thanks for you reply man, it'll probably help someone when they encounter this situation.