Default [Q] Kali Linux via Linux Deploy w/Alfa AWUS036NHA (Atheros AR9271) USB wifi adapter?

i can't seem to find a straight answer about this. i've got kali linux installed on my samsung note 8013 and launch it via linux deploy, i access the desktop environment by connecting via VNC over SSH. i want to get my Alfa AWUS036NHA USB wifi adapter working within kali linux on it. i have the alfa connected to a powered USB hub which is connected to the tablet via a USB OTG adapter. the wifi USB adapter is recognized both in android and in kali linux when i use the "lsusb" command in a terminal window. however, it is not showing up when i do an ifconfig or iwconfig.

i have read that external wifi adapters are disabled by default, and that in order to get external wifi to work, the internal wifi needs to be disabled. however, i'm not quite sure how to do this or how to get the ath9k drivers working with packet injection, either in android or linux. i'm pretty sure this requires some kernel modifications especially if the ath9k drivers are not enabled within the kernel by default (i'm running stock rooted jellybean 4.1.2 ROM), unless there's a script that can be run on linux deploy when launching kali that can enable the ath9k drivers and the external wifi, and turn off the internal wifi. if it requires kernel modifications, do i need to recompile the kernel for both android and linux, or is the linux one enough to get it working within my kali chroot environment?

also, i was wondering if there was a way to boot into kali linux natively without having to replace my recovery - on the official kali site there's a recovery.img you can flash to boot into kali by holding down certain keys during startup, but i'd prefer to keep TWRP or clockworkmod recovery. sorry, i know that's a totally different question. thanks!